projection systems

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
ChristoD_

Post by ChristoD_ »

i read a lot of excellent discussion about pcs and graphics cards on the site. very useful. but what are vjs using for projectors? not for stadium events - more for underground club spaces. the sony (like the vaio) is very sexy but i think overpriced for what it can do.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

in the netherlands most clubs are equiped with a projector of they will arrange the projector/mixer/etc with a rental company ...

but a lot of Amarican vj,s own their own projectors, i guess your budget will be the dominating factor when buying a projector ...

i just bought a Sony Vaio, the PCG-GR325MP with 300+ Mb RAM an a 16 mb Ati videocard and it rocks! Resolume runs very smoooooth ;-)

harddrive should be a bit faster though ... maybee i,ll buy an external firewire harddrive ...

Projection Collective_

Post by Projection Collective_ »

For the easy of portability get an LCD projector, the CRT projectors are very highly priced and are very large. you can pick up a good LCD projector quite resonable. remember that because you are using it in a dark nightclub the lum rateing does not mater, im currently using two 450lum SVGA and a XGA projector that are fine for nightclub use. if you want a second hand bargan have a look on http://www.ebay.com / http://www.ebay.co.uk there are lots of LCD units up for grabs.

douglas_

Post by douglas_ »

note on external firewire drive: I got one of by Maxtor, 60 Gb I think, which is great for storage, but sucks for live use, e.g. with Resolume. It tends to lock up every 15 minutes or so, for about 20 seconds, during which time the whole computer freezes. Very inconvenient, and potentially embarrassing. Maybe it's just the unit I have, maybe it's just the Maxtor products, or maybe it's endemic to external firewire drives in general, but it's certainly something to keep in mind.