Project 360 degrees onto a partial dome.

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
massta
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Project 360 degrees onto a partial dome.

Post by massta »

Didn't want to say spherical because I don't want to project above viewer's heads. Tubular would be more accurate but their is a slight curve upward. Regardless, I'm wondering if Arena can morph the grid enough for good results. Will be using three projectors each casting 120 degrees from the center of a dome that has the top removed. Can I just render a large movie and slice up sections for each projector using Arena? Thanks! ~Shawn

Stickygreen

Re: Project 360 degrees onto a partial dome.

Post by Stickygreen »

Resolume Arena cannot do this yet, but you should be able to get acceptable results with IRmapio - http://irworkshop.com/products/mapio

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Curious to hear what Arena is missing for this work?

massta

Post by massta »

@goto10, yes I thought Arena should be able to work. I was successful when projecting onto a white umbrella but haven't tried on a 360 degree round wall. My question was do I need to run video through some post production morphing effect using an editing program or will Arena be able to do that well enough for me? I could even take it a step further and use a 3D application to render exact modelling of our dome (at least for a morphing reference). Arena's capability to slice, morph and edge blending should be able to do this seemingly simple task.

I guess I just need to get out there and mess with it. There are some half-shell stages around I could play with for now. Thanks!

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

I tried to do a dome with Arena, and I could not get the compound curve, to edge blend.

4x Panasonic PT-D5500u projectors with 0.8 wide angle lenses, output via HD5870 E6 - VGA

the compound curve was not playing nice with Arena, but with IRmapio's quad radial preset, it was super easy.!

massta

Post by massta »

Talk about 360 degree displays:
https://vimeo.com/44254359