HAP support?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: HAP support?

Post by Joris »

The problem with AV Foundation and the deprecation of QTKit is not so much playback.

DXV is not a QTKit codec. Resolume does not need QTKit to play back a DXV encoded file.

Resolume also doesn't need AVFoundation to play back a DXV encoded file. Really, it doesn't even need to have the DXV codec installed at all. It's our own codec, we know how to play it back so we play it back ourselves.

The one thing that was great about QTKit, is that it was used in other apps *to create* .mov files with 3rd party codecs. So you can export a DXV encoded .mov file straight from After Effects or Cinema4D or any app that supports QTKit.

With QTKit being deprecated, and AV Foundation not supporting 3rd party codecs, this means that eventually, you won't be able to export DXV encoded files directly from After Effects. Noticed how FCP and Motion already dropped support for 3rd party .mov exports a while ago? That was when they switched to AV Foundation. That's pretty much the only real downside to the whole thing.

As far as I understand it, this is what the HAPinAVFoundation framework is meant for. If a developer wants to *create* HAP encoded files in their app, they can use that framework to do so.

If you have all your assets in a certain format already, the whole point is moot really. DXV will always be best for Resolume, other codecs will be best for other apps.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Many thanks Joris, I undestand a little bit more now.
I already know DXV will play straight foward on resolume, and hey! I don't want to leave it :D
I've missed the point that HAPinAVFoundation is a developer framework.
So, lets say if I have all my assets on a 'mezzanine' compression to manage common tasks (edit, quicklook, etc), still can transcode those files to DXV on any app wrapped to work over QTkit.
So the only downside on this is the ability to export to third party codecs on common apps, if they get rid off all the qtkit stuff, right?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

So the only downside on this is the ability to export to third party codecs on common apps, if they get rid off all the qtkit stuff
Pretty much. On Mac, not being able to preview files via Quicklook or open them in Quicktime Player X is a biggie for a lot of people as well.

Phlux
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Phlux »

So HAP is not happening?

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

hap?

please?

8stringbassist