Retina Display GUI Support

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Heldrik
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Retina Display GUI Support

Post by Heldrik »

Hey, any plans for an update on the GUI to support OS X Retina Display resolution? The actual GUI Fonts on Retina Display looks jagged.

najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Retina Display GUI Support

Post by najrock »

yeah this drives me crazy

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Personally, the way the wealth is so inequally distributed on this planet drives me crazy. And people that stay in the left lane on the highway. And quantum physics.

But if pixelated text on your interface is what keeps you up at night, we have a low priority ticket for Resolume 5 to render everything twice as big.

najrock

Post by najrock »

goto10 wrote:Personally, the way the wealth is so inequally distributed on this planet drives me crazy. And people that stay in the left lane on the highway. And quantum physics.

But if pixelated text on your interface is what keeps you up at night, we have a low priority ticket for Resolume 5 to render everything twice as big.
Thanks for the sarcastic response. It doesn't keep me up at night but it is for sure disappointing to have to stare at constantly. I understand it is low priority... no need to insult people that would like software to be updated to the specs of the hardware they use it on. Modul8 has had like four updates in the last four years and it supports Retina.

its the little things like this that make me wonder why I have invested so much in this company... every update causes a new problem as it fixes another one... there are things like capture card output and playing back a looping clip that are flat out impossible... if you even attempt to use the audio features of the program it shits the bed half the time and when people ask when you will update for the latest screen resolutions so they dont have to stare at mario world 2 vj edition while they work you make fun of them

nice

lotech

Post by lotech »

I also agree the sarcasm is unnecessary. If R5 is still over a year away it will end up being over 2 years from the release of the Retina MacBookPro until a version of Resolume that supports it - and all we will have to get by is sarcastic comments from the devs (how will we survive!).

All my issues with Resolume are to do with the GUI and how I as VJs/performers/artists interact and perform with it.

If you guys made cars I get the feeling they would be a boxy shaped beast with fantastic functionality unfortunately hampered by a dashboard that is made up of nothing but words (icons are banned) and you would just have to climb in the window to get in as the doors were welded shut for some reason. The seats would also reset to an uncomfortable position every time you started it up.

That is of course a joke but maybe you should seriously look into starting a uservoice or similar so we can give you an idea of what we want/need/desire in your app. I know there is a forum thread but the simplicity of uservoice allows someone to request a feature and allow others voting it up/down without off topic discussions and a bunch of single line posts of +1. Surely this would make it even easier to see trends and issues that you may have missed.

As the devs you of course have your own ideas and direction for Resolume and you certainly don't have to listen to any of our opinions but surely its better to involve us than just shutting down valid feature requests with rude or sarcastic comments.
Last edited by lotech on Thu Jul 11, 2013 03:48, edited 1 time in total.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

It seems like apologies are in place here, my post was not meant to be sarcastic. To me, the idea of actually getting mental health problems over the look of the interface of a piece of (let's face it) obscure software came across as meant as a joke. So I thought I would continue that joke. I'm sorry if that was taken the wrong way.

The main reason we have to wait for Res 5 with Retina support is not that we don't take your concerns seriously. The codebase we use to make Resolume's interface work cross platform only recently added support for rendering for Retina screens. And unfortunately we cannot integrate this update in Res 4, precisely because of the risk of causing many new problems.

A uservoice is indeed a very good idea, and actually already in the works. When we personally use Resolume live, we hardly read the interface anymore, because we know where everything is by heart. So a way to keep in touch with the people with other experiences is always very welcome.