DXV Single Frames

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
AdevProjects
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

DXV Single Frames

Post by AdevProjects »

I think that Resolume should check if a DXV file is a single frame. If it is, it should show a duration parameter just like loading in a png does. This way, you would be able adjust how long a DXV file is after rendering the file (for autopilot). This would also save disk space by only saving a single frame DXV file rather than making a file to the desired length.

I know you are able to adjust the duration of a single frame DXV file by using the speed transport control, but having an actual duration in ms or seconds would be much nicer.

Another idea is to add a "single frame" or "image" option to the clip transport control drop down box. Selecting "single frame" would switch from the timeline with speed control to the same controls as loading in a png.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: DXV Single Frames

Post by Joris »

That is not a bad idea.

The thing is though, the single frame DXV thing is just a workaround for the problems you currently run into with our stupid old fashioned 32 bit memory limit and your amazing new fashioned high image resolutions.

We'd prefer to focus our energy on making it possible for you to just load these images as images, without the need for silly workarounds.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

When batch converting a lot of still images to dxv, - adobe media encoder output duration would have to be set individually for the images, - I have a preset with fps set to 1, so the 5 seconds default duration would store just 5 frames, you know, to avoid unnecessary large still dxvs.
If anyone has a better idea how to set the default duration in adobe media encoder that would be welcome.

btw, could DXV be used for the snapshot output format instead of png (cmd+shift+P)?
that would possibly save a lot of re-encoding for people.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

strangehead
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by strangehead »

hey ravensc

i'm not on adobe, so i cant help you with the adobe media encoder
when i have to convert a lot of files, i am using the Batch Export Utility from lividinstruments.com
-> http://lividinstruments.com/support_downloads.php
-> http://www.lividserver.com/dl/beu/BEU_1.23XP.exe (WIN)
-> http://www.lividserver.com/dl/beu/BEU_1.23.dmg.zip (MAC)

This exporttool has a function to set the frames.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I have not found a good way to set duration by batch on AME. Despite that I use presets too.

But has anyone seen the clip timeline slider going crazy fast with pngs converted to 1 or 2 frame DXVs? Should I be concerned? Fps seemed better with PNGs (below 1920 x 1080) in some cases. I know PNG is not recommended, but higher fps should indicate less load, right? Plus no crazy timeline slider, seemed to be a no brainer going back to the png clips.

I was wondering if the performance drop is because I have to encode the DXVs with Alpha, which I hear is also a performance hog. So my question is, what is better for performance/memory mgmt, PNG with transparency or DXV 3 with Alpha?

Any experience?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

So my question is, what is better for performance/memory mgmt, PNG with transparency or DXV 3 with Alpha?
DXV3 with alpha. Hands down.

The performance hit probably comes from having Resolume continually reading the same frame from disk. Just pause the clip, and you're set.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Thanks for answering that. I will try pause on those clips. I actually threw them out as I was dropping 30 fps on the DXVs. 160 png -> 130 dxv single.
Last edited by DHoude on Mon Dec 28, 2015 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

You were right (not that I doubted you). Paused DXV single frame does not drop FPS. Well, that should be in the instruction manual somewhere! lol, I have tried this 4 times now because I keep seeing "convert everything". I believed it was the right move, I was just so conflicted with the FPS drop (as a performance indicator).

Thanks again!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Joris wrote:We'd prefer to focus our energy on making it possible for you to just load these images as images, without the need for silly workarounds.
Are you guys working on a 64-bit version of Arena 5 by any chance? I know Santa has already come but one can still dream of a belated Christmas present ;)

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

^^^ What he said ^^^ Its a real bummer when 32 bit does not even support the 6 gigs of ram on my Laptop's Video card! Lol :)