Easy deck rearrange - move

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
theVJ
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Easy deck rearrange - move

Post by theVJ »

I mean you just grab a deck and move around.
Now if the musician decide to swap two tracks you have to close the deck then open a new one at the right place then import the composition. If the musician decide to rearrange the whole playlist just before the show you start to sweat. Embarrassing but can happen quite often.
It would be an easy and useful feature to rearrange the decks just with a click 8-)

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Easy deck rearrange - move

Post by Arvol »

might be a dumb question.... But is labelling the decks and just having it located and ready to trigger right after your last clip is currently playing on the current deck that much of a delay? I typically have 30-50 1080p DXV3 clips in all of my 16 decks, it takes my build about 3 seconds to swap decks. I keep them in alphabetical order for easy locating.

Just trying to find a solution for you that you can currently work with :)

theVJ

Post by theVJ »

Thanks for the reply dinga. Its not about the delay.
Lets say the band plays 15 tracks and I have 15 different decks. The clips are unique in every deck so I cant switch them up and usually there is only a few secs to find the next deck. Because of that I setup the decks according to the bands playlist (so if it changes I have to change the decks order too)

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Makes sense. I have color pallet decks, as I typically am the house VJ for festival settings. So I follow the LD in complimentary colors. All the clips in my decks are different without duplicates. If the LD goes from a green to blue without warning, I have only a few seconds to make a smooth transition to maybe a yellow or cyan style clip (could always colorize and do this sometimes as well) but I understand your style of unique clips on unique decks. For me its a matter of realllly knowing my setup. Labelling in alphabetical order worked for me and knowing my clip placement. Having a set of clips for each song (in your case) seems a little more lenient as you probably know the songs well enough to know when it's about to end (not always the case as things can get cut and chopped on the fly haha). But knowing the songs and knowing your decks might give you an advantage over my setup and when you think a song is coming to an end, you can already be waiting for the next song to come up and have that deck already cued.

Do you get a setlist before each show, or does your artist use cdj's?
There is some really cool software that will actually show the current live playlist the artist has cued up and shows the SMPTE playback cursor for each song. This could be helpful to see what he/she has currently cued and is loaded next. Just involves a single ethernet ran from the cdj's to your computer (and the software of course)

I believe the deck switching is getting an overhaul in version 6 but it's going to be a bit before that is released. Just trying to brainstorm to help find you a current solution to your current issue. :)

All the best

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

here is a short video how you can reorder your decks very fast and easily
phpBB [video]

1. create your composition, decks and save it.
2. find your composition in the composition list in the Browser Panel's Composition tab.
3. close all your decks, but the one you'd like to be first.
4. double click on the decks in the Browser Panel in the order you'd like them to appear in Resolume.
5. save composition.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

theVJ

Post by theVJ »

There is no DJ in this band so I cant use SMPTE but they tell me the setlist of course.
You told me some useful ideas so I think I can live without the deck-moving feature now. (of course if the developers decide to introduce it in a future version it would be good too :) )

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Another approach if you're on a Mac, would be to trigger your Resolume cues in a 3rd party software (such as Vezer or Qlab) using OSC column triggers (/trackX/connect 1 where X is the number of the column you want to trigger).

Edit: I just remembered you are using decks so the address would be /composition/deckX/select 1 where X is the number of the deck you want to trigger. Deck 1 being the leftmost one.

Then you can easily rearrange your cues in your cueing software at the last minute without having to change the order in Resolume.

I don't know of any similar software for Windows but I'm sure there is something out there.

sachismo

Post by sachismo »

+1 For easy re-arrange!

I also work with bands and use one deck per song. Would love to be able to re-arrange according to the set list without deleting all decks and re-adding them