Magewell capture cards

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
elgarf
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Magewell capture cards

Post by elgarf »

We personally using blackmagic, but why not?
Looks like they have capture SDK now http://www.magewell.com/sdk.

cvanhoose

Re: Magewell capture cards

Post by cvanhoose »

elgarf wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 18:20 We personally using blackmagic, but why not?
I am a fan and have had great success with Blackmagic. I have a magewell capture card and it has a frame more of latency than the Blackmagic card. i hear datapath has the least amount of latency on the market, yet I have not had the opportunity to add to my server yet.
I have read of past issues and unsure if they have been resolved in R6

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

elgarf wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 18:20 We personally using blackmagic, but why not?
I remember reading that the SDK doesn't support their whole range, only the pro PCIE cards. Because of that Resolume is waiting until their sdk covers all of their cards like blackmagic and datapath.

elgarf

Post by elgarf »

drazkers wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 02:05 I remember reading that the SDK doesn't support their whole range, only the pro PCIE cards. Because of that Resolume is waiting until their sdk covers all of their cards like blackmagic and datapath.
I thought, there wasn't sdk at all, maybe I've remembered wrong.

Btw, there is support for usb capture, but
Due to the limitation of hardware, some APIs (e.g. OSD, Lowlatency, etc) in SDKv3 are not available with USB Capture/USB Capture Plus/Eco Capture Families.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

elgarf wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 04:33
drazkers wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 02:05 I remember reading that the SDK doesn't support their whole range, only the pro PCIE cards. Because of that Resolume is waiting until their sdk covers all of their cards like blackmagic and datapath.
I thought, there wasn't sdk at all, maybe I've remembered wrong.

Btw, there is support for usb capture, but
Due to the limitation of hardware, some APIs (e.g. OSD, Lowlatency, etc) in SDKv3 are not available with USB Capture/USB Capture Plus/Eco Capture Families.
I was referring to Magewell's SDK not Resolume providing support for it. Sorry for any confusion.

I think you've highlighted the exact reason, I personally think its a decent argument. If 90% of us are using the USB version and low latency isn't supported(Which really is what we all want by official support) I wouldn't want them to put the considerable effort into that, compared to other features.

Supporting Aja, Blackmagic and Datapath is already a great step.

What other features of the SDK are provided that you would enjoy? since lower latency is already out.

elgarf

Post by elgarf »

Datapath doesn't have USB capture cards at all, so supporting PCI magewell cards with low-latency capture not look silly.

For me it's not very important, but may be someone have setup, based on magewell cards =)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

What looks good, is saying "We support Datapath cards. All of them. Everywhere."

What looks silly, is saying "We support Magewell cards... But not the USB ones... Only the PCIe ones... Only on Windows... Not on Mac..."

Every Magewell card, both internal and external, already works fine via DirectShow now. Reducing latency for the PCIe range is not a priority at the moment.