[IMPLEMENTED in 7.17] Set The Duration of a Recording Beforehand

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
STVinMotion
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

[IMPLEMENTED in 7.17] Set The Duration of a Recording Beforehand

Post by STVinMotion »

Resolume 7.2 gave us the ability to Record internally with amazing quality, without dropped frames and in DXV w/ Alpha transparency (Prores, too). Now the only thing missing is a way to ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐˜ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ฑ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ผ๐—ป ๐—•๐—˜๐—™๐—ข๐—ฅ๐—˜ ๐˜„๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐—ฑ and let it record a ๐—ฃ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ๐—ณ๐—ฒ๐—ฐ๐˜ ๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ฝ. This would simplify the process of recording - enabling us to use the clip immediately and add it to our Visuals database as a new looped clip.

At the moment we can't limit the recording - the result is a clip that is longer than needed and is not looping - we need to trim it manually in order for it to loop(!). Setting the Recording duration to a specific time, be it an X number of seconds, or X number of beats, could create a Perfect Looping clip. This clip could be used immediately - without the need to "loop" the recording.

Vote for this feature and help everyone work faster & smarter - like the gods of VJing meant it to be ))

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Set The Duration of a Recording Beforehand

Post by Arvol »

To Piggyback on this request (which might actually be a solution as well?), Could we add a Render To File option for columns as well?
This would poll all the clips in that column (including persistent) and then set the output file length to match the longest clip in that column and render down the comp using each layers blend mode and opacity settings (and of course all of the fx). This would also include each clips repeat function as well.

So if one clip is 1 second long with a loop set, and another clip is 3 seconds long, the rendering would have the first clips played 3 times and the second clip played once. if the first clip is only 0.9 seconds long then the rendering would have the first clip played 3.3 times and the second clip played once (so it's key to beat match your clips or trim them accordingly)

Hope this all made sense?
Typically when I record something, it's groups of clips in the same column, I thought this might save a few steps.

Thanks

STVinMotion

Post by STVinMotion »

Hi Arvol,

Thanks for the suggestion! I originally was hoping that we could "render" a couple of clips together, then I realized that we can Record with Alpha and so smoothly - and we get (about) the same result, at least with DXV clips. I guess rendering the clips would give a better result (surely in higher resolutions / with Prores) without any chance of glitches or so. But from extensive tests I made with recording DXVs I'm amazed by how smooth it is.

Regarding rendering a column: why not have all the current playing clips render together no matter where they are? I mean, why need to place them in the same column, at all? One other limitation I'm currently having with the render feature is that it's impossible to render a longer clip than the original one: say I have a cloner effect on a 16 sec clip - but the clones are completing a whole master rotation in 32 sec - the result is 16 sec long and not looping. So, having the render pull the length of the longest clip might be limiting, cause there are cases where I would like things to run multiple times in order for all the clips (with their effects) to close the loop.

I suggested Resolume to add an x time multiply to the render feature, too. I might need to bring "Render x times the original length" to vote in a separate feature request ))

What do you think?

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

The normal record function do record the comp output or am I wrong here....

when this is finished you get a clip....

And now you can use the clip render function to trim it to the perfect loop.

Yes its two time recording and take a bit longer but the result is the same ..

so now... what do i miss
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Zoltรกn
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltรกn »

STVinMotion wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 17, 2020 05:55 it's impossible to render a longer clip than the original one: say I have a cloner effect on a 16 sec clip - but the clones are completing a whole master rotation in 32 sec - the result is 16 sec long and not looping.
If it's a 16 sec clip, that's the clip's length.
With source clips the duration only matters for Auto Pilot, so you can just set it to 30 secs and render that.
Assigning parameters to clip position could also help a lot to render perfect loops ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with โ€Enterโ€ - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

He2neg wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 17, 2020 08:11 The normal record function do record the comp output or am I wrong here....

when this is finished you get a clip....

And now you can use the clip render function to trim it to the perfect loop.

Yes its two time recording and take a bit longer but the result is the same ..

so now... what do i miss
That works, but the point of the "New Features" is ways to improve the current situation we are working in now :)

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

Arvol wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 17, 2020 16:00 That works, but the point of the "New Features" is ways to improve the current situation we are working in now :)
Yeah true.... but when something is allready possible, but veryhard to combine in a new feature. Then i dont want to "wast" some dev time for that ;)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

STVinMotion wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 17, 2020 05:55 I suggested Resolume to add an x time multiply to the render feature, too. I might need to bring "Render x times the original length" to vote in a separate feature request ))
The Clip Renderer takes the Auto Pilot Loop count into account. It will render the Clip (N) times.
So if you have a Clip that is 4 seconds long and you set the Scale to animate from 0 to 100% in 8 seconds and you set the Autopilot Loop count to 2 you get a clip that is 8 seconds long and animates from 0..100% across the length of the Clip.

STVinMotion

Post by STVinMotion »

edwin wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 18, 2020 21:02
STVinMotion wrote: โ†‘Thu Sep 17, 2020 05:55 I suggested Resolume to add an x time multiply to the render feature, too. I might need to bring "Render x times the original length" to vote in a separate feature request ))
The Clip Renderer takes the Auto Pilot Loop count into account. It will render the Clip (N) times.
So if you have a Clip that is 4 seconds long and you set the Scale to animate from 0 to 100% in 8 seconds and you set the Autopilot Loop count to 2 you get a clip that is 8 seconds long and animates from 0..100% across the length of the Clip.
Absolutely fantastic! It works like a charm :D Thank you, Edwin โ™ฅ๏ธ

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

edwin wrote: โ†‘Fri Sep 18, 2020 21:02
Very nice! :)
Any chance you guys would consider a column render in the future? Not a huge thing I need, but I would see myself using that more than the general record button if that was to ever be on option.

Big kudos to the new record system in general. V6 was able to record about 4 seconds of my comps lol, the new improvements are night and day different <3