Clip names saved with preset save

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
djrummer
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Clip names saved with preset save

Post by djrummer »

Hi!
I would love to have the clip name of the solid color I create save. When I drag in 'red' i would like it to say 'red' not 'solid color'.

:)

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: Clip names saved with preset save

Post by cosmowe »

The idea is nice. But from Resolume side it could get tricky to implement this feature...because there are people who would name the following colours different.
Unbenannt.PNG
Unbenannt.PNG (628 Bytes) Viewed 8833 times
You are still able to rename the solid clip after inserting it into the clip deck.
Unbenannt.PNG
Best wishes
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Your OCD is getting the best of you. I honestly can't remember the last time I ever looked at a clips name. If it bugs you that much, just rename the clip. How is Resolume suppose to know the difference between Fulvous, Coquelicot, or Orange? Or Amaranth, Falu, or Red? This is just laziness :lol: :lol:

Also, Ctrl+Shift+T updates the thumbnail. I'd just go that route.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

With an effect clip, you create by dropping a preset to an empty clip slot, this could be interesting, to append the preset name to the clip name.
You'd still need to name your preset when saving it, not everyone speaks english.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 16:41 With an effect clip, you create by dropping a preset to an empty clip slot, this could be interesting, to append the preset name to the clip name.
You'd still need to name your preset when saving it, not everyone speaks english.
That's a smart way of doing it. Dragging a preset. Nice!! :)

djrummer

Post by djrummer »

its not OCD!

to me - its just things that make sense. Maybe coming from a different backgrounds is good and bad here.

I'm a huge advocate for consistently and infrastructure.

So, if I right click "save preset" on *anything. I would like to know that I have loaded that preset by name.
Maybe it's the musician. but if I have "upright piano" and "jazz piano" and "emo piano" in my piano options...

I'd like it to say which one.

Not "instrument"

:)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

A clip can have multiple effects, you can load an effect preset to a clip with multiple effects, just would you expect to happen to the clip name in those cases?

(You know, you can rename the effects too, by right clicking on their title)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

djrummer

Post by djrummer »

so, we're on to clips, which was not my original post.

My original request came from wanting the solid color source presets so save as the preset, thumbnail and name.
https://imgur.com/a/C8iFqXt

I have my palette of colors saved.
When I drag them to a clip, they're red and say "solid color"

YES, I know how to work around it.
but that seems like a fairly normal request. If I add blue. Have it show blue, and maybe have it named blue.

As for clips. my recommendation would be able to name the 'chain' of effects, yes. that would be awesome. But, im not doing that much so I really dont have a preference.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Going back to a previous answer:
How is Resolume suppose to know the difference between Fulvous, Coquelicot, or Orange? Or Amaranth, Falu, or Red?

If you save the Solid Color set to a color of your choice and then you save that as a preset, When you drag that preset (still a source) into your comp, you should get the name of your preset. But this isn't working for the Solid Color Source. Is this something we could open a ticket for? Having Source presets enter the comp as the preset name vs the parent sources name?

In terms of Thumbnails, This is something that is baked into each source. I don't think it pulls from any specific frame does it? So I don't think there is a way to fix that without having to completely redo how thumbnails are generated from sources. That sounds like a bug headache to me. The Red thumbnail has been around since V3 (probably earlier) so this is just something everyone has been use to. It's nice to be able to update thumbnails now, but also having too many custom thumbnails can slow your system down.

djrummer

Post by djrummer »

Arvol wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 22:22 Going back to a previous answer:
How is Resolume suppose to know the difference between Fulvous, Coquelicot, or Orange? Or Amaranth, Falu, or Red?

////. because I name it Fulvous, Coquelicot, or Orange? ?/// im not requesting resolume know the name. simply save what I call it.

If you save the Solid Color set to a color of your choice and then you save that as a preset, When you drag that preset (still a source) into your comp, you should get the name of your preset. But this isn't working for the Solid Color Source. Is this something we could open a ticket for? Having Source presets enter the comp as the preset name vs the parent sources name?

This is my request. stop putting words in my mouth (see above. ;) ) it doesn't seem to be happening.

In terms of Thumbnails, This is something that is baked into each source. I don't think it pulls from any specific frame does it? So I don't think there is a way to fix that without having to completely redo how thumbnails are generated from sources. That sounds like a bug headache to me. The Red thumbnail has been around since V3 (probably earlier) so this is just something everyone has been use to. It's nice to be able to update thumbnails now, but also having too many custom thumbnails can slow your system down.
that's fine if its not possible.
I just figured it's getting the red one from somewhere. maybe it could be replaced by the saved preset.
obviously I know how to update thumbnail.