FFGL development for PC?

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
VJ Rhett Bice
Is taking Resolume on a second date

FFGL development for PC?

Post by VJ Rhett Bice »

So far looking around on the web and on VJforums.com I've found only one person who has developed a couple of FFGL plugins. Pretty basic stuff. Nothing like I was used to. Am I missing something?

edwin
Team Resolume

Re: FFGL development for PC?

Post by edwin »

No i'm afraid you are not missing something, there are not much plugins out there yet!
I created some more myself and have been in contact with a few developers that are building FFGL plugins, but plugin packs like we had before are not available.
In the OpenFrameworks community there is some activity in trying to build FFGL plugins that use OpenFrameworks. This would open great potential as OpenFrameworks is getting more and more popular.
So it will still take a while but i'm sure more plugins will popup soon.

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

there are definately plugins out there, but they have not been publicly released yet ( if it was me, id use them for a while myself beforew letting everyone have them )

VJ Rhett Bice

Post by VJ Rhett Bice »

What's the learning curve? Does this require being fluent in C++, Java etc? No wysisyg editors to build the FFGL plugins? Sure would like to convert the puppet pin effect for After Effects into a FFGL plugin.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by gpvillamil »

I'd really love a simple guide to getting started with FFGL development. I'm OK with C++ and have the FFGL SDK, but can't seem to get the examples to compile and run.

I have a strong suspicion that a *lot* of OpenGL shaders out there, like the ones included in Max/MSP, can be very easily ported to FFGL.

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Rene »

gpvillamil wrote:I'm OK with C++ and have the FFGL SDK, but can't seem to get the examples to compile and run.
Which issues do you have? - Which platform? What's the error messages? I remember it was hard for me too, to get my first plugin working (on Windows), but now it seems manageable ;-) (Just struggling with XCode and white screens instead of the output :? )

We could try to make something like a "getting started" tutorial. :geek:
VJ Rhett Bice wrote:Does this require being fluent in C++
I don't think so, in my opinion understanding OpenGL and shaders is more important, however basic understanding of C++ and Copy/Paste is required :lol:

VJ Rhett Bice

Post by VJ Rhett Bice »

I've begun watching Processing and QC tutorials, seems like the quicker route to gaining the type of control I want versus learning to build FFGl patches... I don't know. Suppose I wanted to build a patch to allow me several points on a grid with video mapped to it in 3d space and being able to move them in xyz with midi while tweeking another two or three parameters, say like delay mask or wave forms, on the same axis.

What are the best tools for going about building something like this?

VJ Rhett Bice

Post by VJ Rhett Bice »

Hmmm I don't remember there being so many effects in Avenue last time I fired it up on the PC like back April or May. Used it on a Mac the other night. Was I blind or did are there more in the mac version?

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Almost each release we add some effects, because it's fun to build them when i'm tired of fixing bugs, and we also added 12 extra plugins made by syzygy http://www.syzygy-visuals.co.uk/Freeframe.html a while ago.

VJ Rhett Bice

Post by VJ Rhett Bice »

Super groovy. Developers rock.