Morphing/edge blending/projection on curved screens/etc.

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
daxx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Morphing/edge blending/projection on curved screens/etc.

Post by daxx »

Hi,
while working on a new project, I'm really missing the following functionality!
the project is, projecting on a sphere (3m high) with a Triple head 2 Go system. This is possible but it is really difficult to do it perfect since there is always a bit of overlap from the projectors.

Therefore I was thinking to solve this with some video-mapping (keystone plugin), but here is the problem, you can only adapt up to 4 points (bottom left/right, top left/right). I went looking for a solution and only found this, a software called SOL7 (but costs 4000$ i think, TOO EXPENSIVE!) http://immersaview.com/technology/sol7

I think some of the functionalities in SOL7 could be really useful for some more advanced mapping and projecting on non standard surfaces like a sphere or curved screen. I don't know whether it is possible to implement things like this, but it would be cool :).

Some ideas:
- 12 points to adapt in stead of 4 (I heard Grand VJ is planning to do something like that in their next update)
- edge bending

Hope this could work
Daxx

movebandit

Re: Morphing/edge blending/projection on curved screens/etc.

Post by movebandit »

Take a look at www.vioso.com.

daxx

Post by daxx »

vioso looks good, but it would be a lot cooler if functions like this where implemented in Resolume itself. In this way no additional software was needed en it could be used on a windows and mac platform. Vioso only works on windows based platforms.

So Resolume, you think this is possible?

Cheers
Dax

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

It's a bit of a specific functionality, and would only be useful to a very few people. Have you looked at the 1024 Bezier surface for Quartz Composer? You could run that into Resolume via Syphon.

http://1024d.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/_ ... -qcplugin/

Joris

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

Had a look at the IRKeystone plugin from http://irworkshop.com/? At least gives you 12 instead of 4 points. And if it is a static setup you could still give the Photoshop technique a try (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6151&p=27428&hilit ... hop#p27428). Make an image with 3 layers filled with white and move it to the desired screen. press F twice for fullscreen mode and start painting the overlapping edge with a black colored brush at 100% softness. Then output the layers into 3 images and use as a mask inside Resolume. It's just an idea. Maybe I am missing something.
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

daxx

Post by daxx »

that is indeed an option. There are a few workarounds, but all I was doing was proposing a new feature in resolume that could be useful for some more advanced mapping projects.

Tnx for the link to irworkshops, really usefull plugin!

Tecno`

Post by Tecno` »

I have found with Resolume that there is normally a work around to do most things. I just wish I had time to learn how to code freeframe effects.

See my post in another part of the forum http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7619

I have got two Nvidia graphics cards giving four outputs which gives a lot more control than the triple head to go.
Blending / mapping etc would be a lot easier if you could add masks and effects to the individual outputs in the advanced output settings.
Also being able to stretch the outputs past the confines of the composition size would increase flexibility.
Another feature that would make a big difference is to be able to choose the order of mask and effect on layers and composition.

I have found the Video Wall effect is very useful for doing stuff over multiple projectors.

Tim

alfaleader

Post by alfaleader »

Look for the IR Mapio plugin from IRworkshop. This can do all this for you :p (for just 50€)

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

goto10 wrote:It's a bit of a specific functionality, and would only be useful to a very few people.
Joris
Really¿?
Ask to Ivan how many ppl has downloaded his mapio plugin.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Really¿?
Ask to Ivan how many ppl has downloaded his mapio plugin.
Yeah, I have to say we underestimated the demand for more advanced projection mapping options. We're actually working on it now, and you can expect mapping options to go through the roof on Res4.