Detaching Active Layers from Content Layers as an Option

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Detaching Active Layers from Content Layers as an Option

Post by pfelberg »

Hi.
I usually work using triger target to the active layer - the way it was on R2.4.
So, is it possible to implement, as an option, the ability to move/exchange layer positions (up and down) without moving all layer inactive content along.
I just like the way decks looked before R2.4, so I don´t want to mess with my clips´ positions.

thanks.

Paulo

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Detaching Active Layers from Content Layers as an Option

Post by Joris »

I'll be glad to make a feature request for this. Any one else wants to bump to add some weight to the argument?

dbassix
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by dbassix »

Yes, Sir ! ;)

Tecno`

Post by Tecno` »

Yes Please!

Tim

Tecno`

Post by Tecno` »

Also what would be nice would be the ability to minimise layers.
This is for situations where the layer content is never changed and wants to stay on constantly, for example I have had situations where I have keyed an external source from another computer over the top of my mix.
This could also be used if you wanted a logo constantly displayed.

Tim

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Resolume is developed as a sort of What You See Is What You Get type of interface. We're not big fans of hiding and/or minimizing things and having options in submenus within submenus within dropdowns. The idea is that whatever is shown on the output is visible in the interface, and immediately accessible. I can see how this idea is appealing and can free up some prime value screen estate though. I'll bounce it around the office, but it sort of goes against our 'software philosophy', if you will.

I hope that explains our thoughts on it a bit!

Joris

Tecno`

Post by Tecno` »

I was more thinking of this being done in the same way that the effects or properties windows are currently minimised. The title of the layer would still be there but the content is minimised using the compact / expand arrow.
Also as a further possibility would be the option to lock the layer with a padlock button

Tim

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

I had once three projections where one of them was just a simple logo. So, I just try to ignore the layer.
But sometimes I messed up loading other content not meant for that layer. So yes, in that case locking a layer maight be handy.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Turns out there's already a feature request for this, but to be honest, it's very, very low on the priority list.

olivepixel

Post by olivepixel »

I’ll add a bump for minimising a layer, it was something I was recently thinking about. I can understand that you want to keep everything visible, but scrolling around a large deck is a real pain, and any way to reduce that is worthwhile I think. There are very often times where you don’t need a layer for half the night or, as others mentioned, the layer contains a simple logo or distortion clip.

Locking could also be handy.