The Thinkpad w530 and Workstation vs Gaming graphics ?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
scottvjguy
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

The Thinkpad w530 and Workstation vs Gaming graphics ?

Post by scottvjguy »

Looking for some expert advice before I buy a new notebook for resolume and other graphics adventures.
I am looking to buy a new laptop for my live video performances as well as content creation. I do multi screen video mapping and interactive installations and and usually need to use multiple video outputs and inputs. Recently I have been using a mini desktop box to get the power I wanted but I am tired of hauling it around.

Question #1
The Lenovo Thinkpad W530 claims to support 4 external monitors through its displayport 1.2 connection and VGA port.
I need to know if that is compatible with Resolume multi screen output.
Can I hook up 4 projectors from the display port and span projections across them ? having four screens without any extra hardware would be amazing !

Question #2
The W530 has a workstation graphics card NvidiaQuatro K1000 2 gig Vram . I know this card is not as fast as the latest gaming cards but I was hoping that since resolume uses OpenGL it would be more useful to have a workstation card like the NVQuatro . Can you say is a gaming or a workstation card better for Resolume ?

There is an SSD drive option that I want to get too. I am sure that will give very good playback and file load times.

The system I was thinking about getting:

model - Lenovo Thinkpad W530
cpu - core i7 3720
Ram - 16 gb DDR3
gpu - NVIDIA Quatro K1000m
Storage - 128 GB SSD + 500 GB 7200rpm HDD
Windows 8 64

I hope you have time to answer my few questions. It will really help me decide.

All the best
vj guy

philmcrackin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: The Thinkpad w530 and Workstation vs Gaming graphics ?

Post by philmcrackin »

I have a Lenovo T410 and to be honest all the crapware that is put on there for the "Lenovo Enhanced Experience" is incredibly annoying. I recommend wiping the OS and putting a clean install of Windows on there. The disadvantage to this is that you won't get as good as battery life if you had the crapware installed, you can install Lenovo Power Manager on your clean install to get the better battery life. You can use the ThinkVantage Base Software Administrator to specify what crapware you want to be preloaded too.

Anyway my 2 cents, bands haul more gear that's heavier and larger than a desktop PC + LCD Monitor. A drumkit, a 4x12 speaker cabinet, 100 watt tube guitar amplifier (That's 50 lbs on the 100 watt tube head alone). Just keep your PC and buy cool hardware instead. Maybe a Blackmagic Capture card if you don't have one already, a video mixer and some cameras.