Matrox Parhelia OR NVideo GeForceFX OR ATI Radeon .??

Bro, does your rig even lift?
prokium
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Matrox Parhelia OR NVideo GeForceFX OR ATI Radeon .??

Post by prokium »

Hello

i will buy a new computer,
what's better for the GFX Card??
Matrox Parhelia OR NVideo GeForceFX OR ATI Radeon ?

I know that with the matrox i can use the DVDMax feature maybe its better?

can you make advise please

/Prokium

therandelman
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by therandelman »

RADEON cards are also capeable of a feature similar to DVD max, it is called THEATER MODE and also works with Resolume.

i have a Radeon 9500 pro and it works really nice! but i guess, for Resolume a Matrox card will be allright as well. especially for multiple outputs...

however, you won't need a high end killer grafic card, if u are not playing or 3d rendering...

good luck,
the|randelman :cool:

SuperficiaL

Post by SuperficiaL »

hi prokium,

ive got two cards in the two shuttles.
one is a matrox parhelia 256 and the other one is a ati radeon 9800 pro.
my advice would be to get the ati.
pros
the price is much less (ok there different card for different purposes but still).
its faster for vjing.
the parhelia uses 2 breakout cables if u want to use composite or svideo. and thats two cables u can forget (i know i did once).
cons
the ati uses a seperate power supply.
the overscan function is much less than the parhelia (but this is only so in RES 1.51 since the output functions are greatly improved in RES 2.0)

and the Gforce... well lets say im not the biggest Gforce fan...

so if u want to use it primarily for vjing buy the ati.

greetz SuperficiaL

prokium
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by prokium »

Ok, thanks

and what do you thing about the
ATI X800 PRO ??

ps: of course i will use this shuttle also for Video Editing and PostProduction but i dont play games at all ... and dont really use 3D but who know heh maybe one day i will use then i prefer to prevent

/prokium

Danger
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Danger »

Radeon's 9500 and GForce's here :)

SuperficiaL

advice

Post by SuperficiaL »

hi Prokium,

if u have a shuttle and u want to buy the radeon make sure u have a power supply in the shuttle with at least 250 watt. because there are some shuttles that use a 200 watt power supply.
and if your shuttle does your the graphicscard just wont work...
so check it out.
250+ power supplys are available for shuttles as spare part so....

i had this problem :(

greetz SuperficiaL...

lotech

Post by lotech »

We spent a good amount of time figuring which graphics card was best about 12months ago and tried pretty much all the cards we could get our hands on.
The Matrox offers the best TVout quality - but the difference is pretty much impossible to spot. When we did this a Matrox G450 was the standard for their range and its overall bandwidth made it a lot slower - especially in other GPU heavy applications. Although the Parhelia improved the GPU speed - it only recently got the upgrade 8X AGP. Matrox works on quality not the newest technology improvements.
ATI's are great - cheap, common as muck and their drivers are feature packed and resonably stable.
One thing to note though - ATI on sells its GPUs and the companies that actually make the majority of the board can use various TVout chips - quality can vary. Again not much between them but worth keeping in mind.
We have a cheap-as $US40 Radeon 9200 128mb in our shuttle - its so cheap and doesn't need a fan due to its lower model number.

Another thing - the most important - Resolume isn't coded to take advantage to any of the special video hardware - a Radeon 9000 or X800 both will pump out video the same no matter how much you spend - as Bart/Edwin say 'it all comes down to CPU' - another reason why a $40 3D card is a good plan.