Yes Morph is finally switching to Resolume, laptop help??

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Morph
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Yes Morph is finally switching to Resolume, laptop help??

Post by Morph »

The time has come for me to switch platforms to Resolume (frustration with M8 lack of developement, want to be on the same platform as biz partner, etc).

So in aid of this I'm looking to get a new PC laptop to run it on.

As most ppl know my main problem with Res in the past has been the UI (lets not get into that again) but I think I could look past that with a decent midi controller and/or touch screen. I have an APC40 which I'm plannning on using when I have space and when limited space I was planning to use my Korg Nano & touch screen.

So what does everyone recommend for a laptop brand/model number?

I'm looking for something that has alot of CPU and graphics grunt (i7, 3-4gb gfx card), runs Res flawlessly, 15-17" (pref 15 so it fits neatly into my backpack), touchscreen, SSD or hybrid drive, plenty of video out options & USB 3 ports.

Have a budget of $2k but can go up to $2.5K

Any help would be greatly appreciated from all you Res heads out there as I'm soon to be one of you :)

Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Yes Morph is finally switching to Resolume, laptop help?

Post by Warspite »

Best laptop for resolume is MacBook Pro 15 retina. It has decent GPU (and if you need performance you will be forced to switch to DXV codec and GPU decoding, even i7 CPU is not enough), it has hdmi+2 thunderbolts ( they can work as videooutput - so you have multimonitor out of the box, or as an input for blackmagic capture devices). Overall, retina is great work horse.
If PC is the only option - then i personally like dell precision M4700 or M6700 with Quadro videocard, K2000M or better. Very nice machines with Display Port+HDMI+VGA onboard, good cooling system and great build quality.

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

And i have a feeling that Resolume runs better on Mac than on PC.

Morph

Post by Morph »

Not really keen on another mac, was planning to switch back to Win/PC platform as I prefer to edit in Sony Vegas. Also don't really see the point of paying $3k for a top of the line mac when I could get the same in a PC for less than $2K

Morph

Post by Morph »

What do our esteemed moderators/Res developers use on the PC side of things??

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

MoRpH wrote:Also don't really see the point of paying $3k for a top of the line mac when I could get the same in a PC for less than $2K
Wrong. You wil not get the same. Both hardware and software. You can not get 2 thunderbolts on PC-laptop, you can not run VDMX, Quartz, Syphon etc on PC laptop. And you can install windows on Mac or use virtual machine to edit in Vegas on Mac. PC is very inferior if you a vj-ing. After Effects, 3D, Vegas, etc - no problem, go with PC, save money and get great performance. But for VJ-ing - Mac is the best option.

Morph

Post by Morph »

Settle down, no one cares about thunderbolt ports (I already have a triple head) and I have no desire to run VDMX, Quartz, Syphon, etc.

As for using a VM or Bootcamp for windows/vegas I've only ever had massive headaches trying to get win7 running on a mac.

I am still considering the mac option (and it's definitely looking one of the best) but have a major issue with no touch screen as I am pretty keen on that to get around the scrolling Res clip bank UI

Morph

Post by Morph »

I really need to play with Res on my 2010 Macbook to get an idea of how I'm really going to be working with it.

LXConcepts

Post by LXConcepts »

You can always hackintosh windows systems anyways....way cheaper than buying an actual MacBook
Lighting and media server design

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Gotta admit my hackintosh partition hasn't really given me issues. But I just can't show up for a gig with it. I couldn't relax, I saw it crash on a nameless vj at a festival and then refuse to boot.

I don't have a mbpr, trying a asus G75VX, but every touring vj who has come through Vancouver besides eye supply have talked up the mac. For its size, warranty and performance its a beast.