Worth partitioning?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Morph
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Worth partitioning?

Post by Morph »

Hi all,

So the new MBPr came and I loooooove it. But now comes the putting it to work part.

So my question is, is it worth having a seperate Mac OS partition with the dual boot setup for running a clean copy of the MAC OS and just Resolume & media. I was looking at splitting off 100gb or so for the partition.

I'm also going to bootcamp and make a windows partition so I can still do my editing in Vegas. Prolly about 100gb partition on a 512gb ssd.

Anyone know if this will work, what order I should do the partitioning in or even if the second MAC OS partition is worth it?? I've been told a seperate user account is pretty much just as good.

Daniel
Team Resolume

Re: Worth partitioning?

Post by Daniel »

I've got a MBPr aswel but why would you split your partition? (for bootcamp I can understand)
I personally think the second OS partition is not needed. You will experiance that the computer is very stable and that it won't matter if you have a second OS or not.

Last day I ran directly from laptop to beamer (no mixer was availible) and I streamed 8h long HD footage without hickup (and I had other programs running in background as well).

TL:DR: Make a Bootcamp for Vegas but a second OS partition is really not needed.

Hope this helps you out.

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

[quote="El Rayo"]Last day I ran directly from laptop to beamer (no mixer was availible) and I streamed 8h long HD footage without hickup (and I had other programs running in background as well).[quote]

I have been doing this for a very long time now and I am still on a MBP 2010. I have all my other programs on there as well. CS6, Cinema4d, Maya etc
Last edited by Basic on Tue Jun 18, 2013 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20

ninguem
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by ninguem »

Hi there. I´m with El Rayo in this one.

I have a MBP and the first thing I did when I got it was bootcamp it. I needed to run 3DsMax and vvvv. Oh and why not...games.

I must say it worked really well and it was well worth it. The only reason I don´t do it anymore is I lack disk space. I have to have too many things installed and when you count in my clips and on location jobs it´s really impossible to deal with 125GB per OS.

You on the other hand can have 256 by OS and I think that´s good enough.

By the way if you can see my latest post on the forum you´ll see I ran into a problem that would easily be solved if I had a windows partition on my laptop. Matrox drivers. You never know.

So the answer from me is: yes. By all means. If you can afford the disk space have them both.

Cheers!

theLABVisuals
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by theLABVisuals »

I'm heading towards a flattening and reinstallation of my own MBP to be honest, and this post has got me thinking about doing the same. Too many times have I broken one installation with drivers / random bits of software etc (I think I run it into the ground on purpose to see what it can handle (still a windows kid at heart)). Having two installs of OSX would certainly sort the hum drum interweb and stuff and live performance (with hopefully no trash) sides of the lappy.

I'm with you on that front Morph. Let me know how it goes :)

T
Introducing ARC - The APC40 mkII Extender.
ARC brings you 640 clip triggers, 128 Faders, 128 Track pots, 80 Scene launch, 16 foot switches and more.
https://www.theapc40extender.co.uk

digitalgigalow
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by digitalgigalow »

I have a Macbook Pro with 2 500gb SSD drives. You will not be using your rom drive, so buy a rom caddy, and add another hard drive. use one for live performance and one for production. This will allow you to test new apps without fixing something that is not broken.

I have tried those iPhone/webcam apps in the past and they have messed up my macbook. these apps mess with the video settings on a mac have cost me money and time.

My live side is running OSX Mountain Lion, Avenue, Ableton and MadMapper.

I would also make a Time MAchine Backup of both hard drives. Run it after you have installed and tested the apps you are going to use. This is good if you have issues with and need a fresh start. It will save you the time of having to load all your apps.