Redundancy

Bro, does your rig even lift?
mikekay
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Redundancy

Post by mikekay »

Greetings.

I have decided to get into Resolume, projector mapping, with VJ capabilities as part of my media company. I am not looking at producing art - although there will be an element of this involved, I plan to use this for fancy advertising, promotions, and to enhance shows I am already producing. So, this is business.

Here is an issue I keep coming up with that I have no resolution to except more cash. Redundancy. When booking shows of this nature, I simply cannot afford to have the system not work. So I need a redundant system. I guess a complete second system exactly the same, with a load of Resolume on it.

Does this mean I have to purchase Avenue with multiple licences - or can I install Resolume on numerous computers activating the licence only in the case of emergency.

What do others do for redundancy? Secondary computers? Back up hard drives? I can back up data, mirror hard drives etc...it is the hardware failure that freaks me out.

The system I am going to put together for this is going to be expensive. Duplication it is even MORE expensive of course. So what are you users doing for redundancy?

Any input appreciated.

LXConcepts
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Redundancy

Post by LXConcepts »

I run two servers (as a minimum)...one into another via a hd/sdi or hdmi input

my main multi output server deals with mapping and any sponsor type stuff for shows, while my secondary server deals with anything that will change during an active show;

ie. guest media, people adding content, foreign drives, etc

last thing you want is someone to hand you a drive of content and have that drive crash your system. If the guest server crashes I run something that's already been tested off the main server while the secondary server reboots.

as for licenses, you'll need one for each system
Lighting and media server design

najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by najrock »

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=3113

just run mirrored systems... one dies press the button. expensive is relative... technically you can vj with an ipad. when I run big shows with guest vj's ect I use a 4 input gefen switcher... this allows me to have my main rig up and a backup rig which is running the same session linked to the same midi controller...

then I have an ipad with a couple looping clips rendered in whatever the pixel map is for that night... usually captured str8 from resolume... this is my oh shit rig... i have never had to use it...

for the guest vj he has the option to plug in direct and map it himself or he can plug into my datapath dvi capture card...

you can go balls out and buy one of those rolands but i hate them

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Concur on the Roland. Because of sponsorship we had to use a roland v40-hd and I hated that thing. Noticeable lag on the crossfader and you're unable to access the menu without a 1080p monitor. But it does have a have fuck load of inputs. Great for redundancy but kinda rought if you wanna jam with someone.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

Because Resolume reloads my showfiles in round a bound 30sec. I decided to use the following setup to have a kind of a fallback:

Spark d'fuser LINK
Resolume Notebook
CloudNetGo LINK
CLS ultra mini Keyboard LINK

So in case of emergency I switch over to the cloudnet for 30 sec. and than switch back again.

Enjoy
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar