Building new box

Bro, does your rig even lift?
VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Building new box

Post by VJ Nexus »

Not that I'm not pleased with my current machine, it performs very well, but I just recieved a forward of quite a bit of money to build a road ready resolume machine. I want the absolute best. I'm going to throw out an idea, and any suggestions would be appreciated. Btw - budget is around $4000 usd. I also just got a hd 3500 lumens projector, so I will be outputting via dvi to it.

Xeon 3.6 604 (Should I go with an Athlon64 FX 55? my athlon64 3000+ performs very well), 3 gig ram (to play with ram drives) scsi or sata? all at 10,000 rpm. definately a raid system. ati radeon 9800 pro 256. I don't know which motherboard to go with either. Must have onboard midi :) I want to put it all in a 19" rack mountable case - it'll be on the road a lot. Must have good audio in's too for effect driving.

Just asking about what to buy here I guess. The absolute best for resolume use, the dream machine.

Rincevent
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Rincevent »

as far as I know you don't need a 256Mo graphic card cause the card is barely used by Resolume (only using Overlay or DVDMAX function but not the gc RAM so even a 64 Mo cg will do the Job )

Also You should go For a P4 HyperThreading instead of a 64 bits AMD cause Resolume don't use 64 Bits optimisations and is all about Ghz frequency (wich is bigger on P4 than on anythin else including Pentium M or Celeron or Dothan)

Maybe You can use 3Go RAM with RamDrive but I advice you to test before, I did and the results where not good, instability, lockups and not easy to use (not complex but you constantly have to move your files, not very feasable when you're performing...)
Actually a lot of us are waiting for a better RAM managment system included in Resolume wich would allow a lot easier RAM usage (by loading the playing clips in RAM) so you don't have to move files constantly, we can only hope that feature will come soon, Edwin is working on it but we have no release date (with V2 would be great but I'm afraid we'll have to wait longer...)

Raptors 10.000 rpm is definitly a good choice, If you go for RAID I'll suggets you get a RAID-MATRIC capable chipset so you can do RAID 0 + 1 with only two Raptors (these are quite expensives...) and you get the best of two worlds : data security/protection and data transfert speed

For onboard Midi I don't think it's required have to have it onboard , nowadays there are many MIDI-to-USB converters or even MIDI hardware who have built-in MIDI-to-USB

My final advice: Don't try to build the "Bigger" (like "Mine is bigger than yours nanana...") PC

Read the Forums and see what Resolume Really need and take that as the basis of your future PC

:D

VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJ Nexus »

I know I don't need that big of a video card, but that's the one I already own - i do 3d animation stuff too. And I too am anxious with ram loading, but i believe a stable solution, either integrated into resolume, or outside program, will be available soon.

Would there be an advantage to having a p4 ht over having a xeon? in general xeons can handle heavier work loads, although not emulating 2 processors (i think some do now though - not sure) the xeons are just as fast, but would the HT benefit me more?

SuperficiaL
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

hi

Post by SuperficiaL »

i think not, resolume doesnt use the "2" processors... so a single processor would work as well... its the MHz that counts...

GreetZ SuperficiaL...

seex
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by seex »

on a P4 3.2 HT one can set thread priority to real time, resolume will then use all the ram avalable.

The gfx card is best with good video outs, the new g-force 6600 pci-express has a component out next to s and video, maybe two of those can manage three independent outputs.