Splitting a VGA signal

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Alvis_Cortex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Splitting a VGA signal

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

Hi guys.

So basically I am on stage and therefore I can't see the screen behind me so I need an small monitor/screen attached to my MCB to see exactly how my output looks like - mirroring my projector - specially if I am using some mapping and the advanced output option - as the output window in Resolume will not show the final result but how the composition looks like instead -

What do you guys suggest? my projector is VGA so ideally I would like to buy a small/simple VGA screen and a VGA splitter. would that work?

Would a USB screen work in this case? top mirror my projector?

Although I would like to avoid using USB screens as both of my USB ports are already in use with my APC40 and a sound card. but it might be better then using a signal splitter?

Many thanks

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Splitting a VGA signal

Post by pfelberg »

Yes, a simple VGA splitter will work as you describe.
Keep in mind that most VGA splitters will cause some quality loss on the VGA signal, meaning you may get some noite in your mapping projection.

Alvis_Cortex

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

pfelberg wrote:Keep in mind that most VGA splitters will cause some quality loss on the VGA signal, meaning you may get some noite in your mapping projection.
Even if I use a VGA splitter with signal amplifier?

Thanks

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Give it a try. It might work nicely.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Even if I use a VGA splitter with signal amplifier
I use VGA amp/splitters all the time ( http://amzn.com/B00006B8CA) on 100-200' runs and they work great! The main thing with the amp/splitters is to use good VGA cables especially with runs over 25'. Keep in mind you can run multiple amps on one line.

As a head's up:
  • Analog amps: short cable first, amp then long cable
    Digital amps: long cable first, amp then short cable
specially if I am using some mapping and the advanced output option - as the output window in Resolume will not show the final result but how the composition looks like instead -
Not sure what you mean! I use the advanced output window all the time to preview what I have on stage so that I can work in 'Blind' mode.

Now here is another solution that works really well: Use an iPaD with Air Display 2 which supports up to 4 iPads on the mac. The iPad will become available just like any other monitor and set it up as a repeat of your screen in advanced output. To do that, just create a new screen assign it to the iPad, duplicate all the slices from the screen you want to see and move them into your new screen. This works best with a dedicated WIFI network.

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

Of course it depends on the quality of the splitter, but most of the Splitters give a clean signal as an output,
so you also can use them as well if you get some problems with the length of your cable ;)

don´t fear... VGA 1 ->2 splitter and there you go... they are cheap.

As a hint maybe :
Search for a professional Rental Service in your Area , rent it once, ask if its for sale as well, get a used one but a pro instead.
My guess ~20€ for a used pro tool.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Alvis_Cortex

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

Thank you all for the answers.

I will try with a VGA splitter first.

Thanks guys

Thelooca

Post by Thelooca »

Perhaps you don't need a splitter: a lot of vga projectors have a monitor out you can use.

chrz!

disconappete

Post by disconappete »

distribution amplifier, i recommend EXTRON products you can find one for cheap on ebay. or loop out if you have the option.