Need help with mapping APC 40 MK2

Bro, does your rig even lift?
lotech
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Need help with mapping APC 40 MK2

Post by lotech »

I've been getting in the process to switching from Modul8 to a Arena / APC40 combo. Most things are going well once you get used to Arenas various UI shortcomings (can't layers and rows of clips be seperate?).

For those using an APC40 - how are you dealing with each layer causing having a separate midi channel? It gives you so many per layer controls but only a few buttons & a knob that be used across any layer on the controller?
I'm contemplating using to OSCulator or BOMES to tell them to accept buttons from any note - as long as its the same value otherwise.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Need help with mapping APC 40 MK2

Post by Joris »

can't layers and rows of clips be seperate?
Have you tried using Active Layer triggering? https://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/clips ... ring_clips ( look for clip target ).
how are you dealing with each layer causing having a separate midi channel?
How a midi command is constructed on a controller shouldn't matter to its use in Resolume. As long as each command is unique, it doesn't matter whether it does that by being on a different channel or a different note.

I think you want to switch to deck focus: https://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/controlling#midi

lotech

Post by lotech »

Joris wrote:
can't layers and rows of clips be seperate?
Have you tried using Active Layer triggering? https://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/clips ... ring_clips ( look for clip target ).
Yes that was the first setting I changed, It was more in reference to the fact that if I move a layer up or down it takes a whole row of clips with it, which makes little sense when set on Active Layer Triggering.

lotech

Post by lotech »

The problem with the APC is that each layer has sends separate channels for most of the knobs. I've attached a picture.

I guess a feature request would to be either to set multiple midi commands to a single parameter or allow for merging of channels so all notes from any channel act the same.

I think for now I'll have to loose a channel (probably 8) and make that the global midi channel so that if I switch to that on the controller its signed to composition control.
Attachments
APC40 Quirks
APC40 Quirks

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Thanks for explaining.
I move a layer up or down it takes a whole row of clips with it
I see. This is how it is and this setting cannot be changed.
The problem with the APC is that each layer has sends separate channels for most of the knobs
This is what the APC does for the buttons on the right in Generic Mode ( not for the buttons on top though, afaik ). Res 4.2 will let you set the Mk2 to Alternate Ableton Live Mode, so it functions as expected. For now you should be able to set it in the right 'mood' in Ableton, and it should keep this setting in Resolume.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Or use this: http://www.tunecrew.com/2013/07/10/apc4 ... kai-apc40/

The sysex messages are the same for the Mk2.

lotech

Post by lotech »

Thanks. Opening Ableton did indeed change the controllers setup, quite a weird workaround. The APC does't show dial lights now nor current layer but at least the dials are consistently the same note.
I did give the Java app a go but its pretty old and only spat out errors when running.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Yeah. It's even more annoying that apparently the Mk2 sets itself back to Generic every time you power cycle it. Which is basically every time you use it. Not sure why Akai chose that mode to be the default, because as you found out, it acts pretty non-generic...

It's just a matter of sending the correct Midi Sysex when it's connected. We didn't have a Mk2 yet when 4.1.11 came out, but we've fixed it in the upcoming Res 4.2.