What are the creators using?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
oOaurOra
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

What are the creators using?

Post by oOaurOra »

Sorry to be blunt... but i'm tiard of conflicting information... which there seems to be alot on this board.. the vid card matters.. it dosn't matter... p4 is beter.. but for everything except resolume a64 is better.. ht is useless.... it's not useless... i would like to know exactly what pc configuration the developers of R2 are using... as a software developer... i would like to know what your developing/performing on... are you using 400x300 like you sugest? or are you using 640x480.... or higher rez.. do you have a sata 10,000 raid setup or are you working on laptops... p4 or a64? what are your system settings?.. you guys should realy have the "optimal systems config/settings" listed on your site.. i'm in the US.. so i'm not taking your gigs.. and "there realy is no blah blah blah.. is not an aceptible answer for a software developemnt company.. and your selling your software.. which makes you a sdc... please.. i'm realy realy tiard of testing.. i buy a state of the art p4.. and it dosn't do what i want.. so i buy a a64 3400+.. whcih dosn't do what i want... PLEASE list your sys specs and software config so we can all stop second guessing our setups.. i assume that r2 works PERFECTLY on your machines... i've seen you clips...

please reply...

seex
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by seex »

i agree,

But there is mention of recomended file resolution in the manual but its for 320x240. Also the minimal spec are mentioned, but what about 640x480 or pal, what is the minimum here. I know that you need more exact specs, but you culd make a table of reference for what works for you.

For instance im not shure how much ram i wuld need to play three layers of 300 mb files in 640x480 resolutin with LEAD mjpg codec. Im not getting a constant framerete, i hope a raid fixses that but it wuld be nice to know in advance, i use a lot of slow motion so constant frame rate is an issue for me.

Resolume users are wanting more, the new computers are so cheap and fast that 320x240 is not the only wise option to recomend. Run down some tests from 320x240 trouhg pal to HD and publish a table of file sizes, codecs, resolutions and the desired computer specs. I know its not a small thing, so maybe we culd all chip in with the info, all we need is to agree uppon a standard of sending the info.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I think this would be the #1 reason it has taken me so long to actually start Vj'ing.

Sense
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Sense »

There are some basic rulez concerning veejay hardware / in general ;

- portability (Laptops, shuttles etc.)
- durability (Good casings, liquerspill supressors :) )
- speed (7200rpm or > internal hd, or external, but consider portability)
- Concerning laptops, no onboard video card (slow / video tearing)
- Centrino 1.4 Ghz works awesome for us. 22FPS with all fun activated. (resolume 2)
- More RAM more FUN. (Mostly so, the coders of resolume are working on this ;) aren't you guys, ramloading is the future)
- Good technical knowlegde (Lumens/Distance/S-Video/composite/BNC/ YUV/ratios/etc.)
- 400x300px Indeo 5.2, keyframe everyframe, no data limit. Use MS1 for high gradient material, huge files, great output. Isn't to hard on cpu, kills your hd ;)
And of course trial and error, why wait for somebody on this forum to give you an answer, while you could have found out yourself ages ago. And yes, somethings can't be done without money, but isn't that the creativity of starting basic and building to an awesome gigawatt rig part of the fun.

Now go, Go! you wild dogs, bite that fresh meat ahead of you, and if it's rotten, try something else, and of course if you have a question don't hassitate to ask, but try first.

Good hunting,

nz|Sense
http://www.friendsofsense.com
and of course vj's friend
http://www.vjcentral.com

[Edited on 12-1-2005 by Sense]

seex

Post by seex »

Shure, id love to try out a 800$ flash card as a HD for my system, or a pair of WD Raptors, or what the hell all this together is faster for shure but will it do HD Video or shuld i wait for the next generation of pentiums?

We all know what wuld be ideal and how much it wuld cost, but what about minimum spec, a pointer in the right direction.

Back on topic, After mixing with a deck of 35 sec PAL clips (PIC MJPG) i was using 1 gb of my ram, the grand total... I hope my version of resolume is not void of warenty now.

BTW, i tryed 400x300 and PAL is just so much better id recomend it anytime.

Vj Blan

Post by Vj Blan »

Hardware don't make Vj's