HDMI Extender

Bro, does your rig even lift?
apa
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

HDMI Extender

Post by apa »

Hi all!
i'm trying to send an hdmi signal to a proyector 40 metters (131 foots) away,
i was thinking in an hdmi through cat6 extenders, anyone have used this technology and know which one should i buy? i'm trying to get at least a good 720p signal, without errors or problems in the image.

i'm working on an audiovisual performance, so the latency should be around 0 ;)

or maybe is some other solution?
i'm using a MacBookPro Retina 15'', maybe a thunderbolt adapter to something else?
any help would be very much appreciated!

best

chenthemagician
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: HDMI Extender

Post by chenthemagician »

Greetings

there are quite a few of those around and capable of great signal, ensure that it tells you up to what resolution, and the most important thing is your cable, ensure you use the best quality cable you can find, usually it is the cable that causes issues with the signal than it is the extenders themselves....

you have some cheap brands that do the trick...you will always encounter latency, as you introduce devices into your signal chain, it will be nominal usually, except for when you are using for long distances, it may become noticeable.

cheers
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Creating Solutions, Tailored to your needs!

Repping from the 876 - Jamaica "Out of Many, One People"

apa

Post by apa »

Hi!
thank you very much for your reply, i was seeing a few equipments, i thinks those two are the best in price/quality without being the cheap ones, hope it doesn't have too much latency, do you think it can't be avoided with those kind of equipment? maybe there's another solution?
would try to find a good cable, i think that a good shielded cat6 could be the best solution, would avoid also cat5, some people says it's not the best option,

i've just saw i can't post url's if you search in amazon:
E-SDS 196ft HDBaseT HDMI Extender over Single CAT5E/6/7 Cable with Bi-directional IR Remote Support 4Kx2K, 3D, 1080P, HDCP

or

HDelity HDMI Extender with BI Directional IR ARC (Coax and SPDIF) with Local Out - EDID, RJ45, Network Cable - BALUN - 3D, FULL HD 1080p

the second one has a loop out (which i think it is a monitor output) that‘s very good indeed if it works well.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I personally tend to prefer Gefen products when it comes to extenders over fiber optic or CAT5/6/7. Their products are a bit more expensive that consumer grade gear but always do an amazon job and their support team is outstanding if you ever have any issues.

For your application, I would recommend the following extender (HDBaseT Extender HMDI 4K): http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtb-hdbt-pol-b ... d_id=11041

and if you can find the older version it's a great product as well: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtb-hdbt-pol.jsp?prod_id=11040

apa

Post by apa »

Ok!
thank you very much, will check that and see how it works,

best!

emilymartin986

Post by emilymartin986 »

There are a wide range of HDMI Extender solution over Cat5e/6/7 cable that enable you to extend up to 330ft. I have used KVMSwitchTech's HDMI Extender units and they work well. There is no latency or video degradation issues with their units.

Dragonsoulj
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Dragonsoulj »

I've used several of these with 1080p over Cat6 without problems:
http://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Matrix-OMX- ... mi+over+ip

5AMvisual
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by 5AMvisual »

Imo Gefen.com or Adder.com are the way to go over Catx.
In our company we're also using HDMI - HD SDI converters, Blackmagic Design has some and Roland Pro as well.

I would advice to check the specs of the extenders you pick extensively, as they all have drawbacks.
For example one supports 1080p60 but not 1080i50 which actually uses less bandwidth.
Sam
  • HacPRO (Win10/OSX10.13 Render+Mediaserver)
  • i9 9900K OC - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA Titan Xp 12 GB VRAM
  • MBP 2018 15" - Livid Ohm RGB - Arturia BeatstepPro - DJTT Midifighter Twister
  • Bome MTP - Vezér

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Just choose an HDBaseT extender + a good CAT6a cable and you'll be able to get any resolution up to 4K.

emilymartin986

Post by emilymartin986 »

There a wide range of HDMI Extender solutions on the market. You want a product that is HDCP compliant and supports long range extension. I have used KVMSwitchTech's HDMI Extender solutions in the past and they work well.