Advice on Decklink Quad 2

Bro, does your rig even lift?
bmoo
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Advice on Decklink Quad 2

Post by bmoo »

The request I have is to base a multiprojection system for an installation using a Macbook pro or an iMac 5K for 4 video channels 1080p..
Does any one have experience with the Decklink Quad 2 card? They are a bit expensive since they require a PCI chassis, but would they be a good choice for full HD multiscreen projection?
Would they actually be a better choice than Datapath or Matrox?
Thank for your advice

Sportinger
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Advice on Decklink Quad 2

Post by Sportinger »

the Decklink quad 2 is still n/a.
There a huge issues reported using a pcie chassie with capture cards. I think it wont work

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Sportinger wrote:There a huge issues reported using a pcie chassie with capture cards. I think it wont work
For what it's worth, I use the Blackmagic Decklink Duo/Studio 2/Intensity Pro PCIe card mounted in OWC Mercury Helios Thunderbolt 2 with Macbook Pros all the time and I have no issues.

Actually, not long ago, one of our media servers failed right before a high end corporate event and in a few minutes I was able to reconfigure the whole system to run the show on a MBP with Arena 5 using a Blackmagic Decklink Duo in a OWC Mercury Helios Thunderbolt 2 for the two HD outputs and it worked flawlessly for two days. Needless to say It was a good thing that I had already ran 3G-SDI cables to the projectors and had two BMD HDLink Pro DVI units handy!

bmoo

Post by bmoo »

That's rather good news. Then it would be a solid option for 4 projectors to be fed from the Decklink quad 2 card as 4x full 1080p29,97 or 59,94 signals.
I am glad to hear the system is stable inside the OWC Mercury Helios. Many people reported their satisfaction with it. This installation will be running steadily for about 2 months so we need to be confident in the hardware setup.
How about the Datapath x4 that seems to be widely used (besides the DVI / SDI question)? Any advantage other than financial?
Thanks for your replies.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

That's rather good news. Then it would be a solid option for 4 projectors to be fed from the Decklink quad 2 card as 4x full 1080p29,97 or 59,94 signals.
The Decklink Quad 2 will be able to do 8x outputs or any combination of input/output up to 8 channels.
How about the Datapath x4 that seems to be widely used (besides the DVI / SDI question)? Any advantage other than financial?
The Datapath X4 would be a great option for you as well. I'm a big fan of the X4 so if you can look some of my posts, you'll find out a lot of information about the X4.

What's your question re. Datapath DVI/SDI?

dcaiman

Post by dcaiman »

I have a DeckLink Quad 2 and works perfect. (8 inputs and 8 outputs)
The problem you will have is that resolume mac modifies the inputs or outputs randomly, in each reboot.

I Entered 4 video signals.
Input 1 Camera 1
Input 2 Camera 2
Input 3 Camera 3
Input 4 Camera 4

After saving the project, without touching anything, if I restart the machine, the system is misconfigured.
Input 1 Camera 3
Input 2 Camera 1
Input 3 Camera 4
Input 4 Camera 2

After another computer restart
Input 1 Camera 2
Input 2 Camera 3
Input 3 Camera 1
Input 4 Camera 4

ONLY it occurs in OSX. On WINDOWS Resolume works correclty.

madido

Post by madido »

ONLY it occurs in OSX. On WINDOWS Resolume works correclty.

Sadly this happens on OSX even with Decklink Quad (the 4 inputs one).
It's not a Resolume problem, it's a known bug at driver/OS level, you will notice the same behaviour in BM capture software too.....

That's why I use only Windows for Live gigs :-)

Stefano

dcaiman

Post by dcaiman »

In the app BM Media Express works correctly. Always.

bmoo

Post by bmoo »

The Datapath X4 would be a great option for you as well. I'm a big fan of the X4 so if you can look some of my posts, you'll find out a lot of information about the X4.
What's your question re. Datapath DVI/SDI?
Yes, I checked many of your very informative posts (thanks!). The DVI/SDI question was just that with Datapath, if I need to run long cables I'll have to convert to a SDI signal (I guess) for performance/installation.
Otherwise Datapath looks maybe better for this multi screen project since I could also use it during the editing work to feed several TVs from a software that does not accept several outputs as monitors.
Also with what is being reported here:
resolume mac modifies the inputs or outputs randomly, in each reboot
I guess Datapath seems like a safe way to go for the project. (…but of course it is a different kind of tool).
Many thanks for your time.
bmoo

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Yes, I checked many of your very informative posts (thanks!). The DVI/SDI question was just that with Datapath, if I need to run long cables I'll have to convert to a SDI signal (I guess) for performance/installation.
I typically run both DL-DVI over fiber optic extender (signal) and USB over Ethernet extender (access settings) to my X4s.