Computer spec research

Bro, does your rig even lift?
ecin
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Computer spec research

Post by ecin »

I'm constantly looking for new ways to speed up my machine to get the best framerate possible out of Resolume at the highest resolution. There seems to be tons of questions here like "whats the best computer to run Resolume?" with no solid answer. So maybe it makes sense to share machine specs, output resolution and approximate framerates so that everyone can browse gear setups and make decisions for themselves.

BTW - this is not a bragging thread about your gear, be honest about your output.

My setup:

Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop
Pentium 4 3GHz
512 RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 mobility
WinXP Home
External 120GB 7200 HD through USB 2.0

Output results @ 640x480: Typically I can run 2 layers with most blending modes and 2 effects with little framedrop. Any more than that starts to bring it down to 15 FPS.

My footage is a mix of 320x240 & 640x480. Most of it is cinepak compressed. Some of my clips are DV compressed straight from my camera at 720 x 480 and I haven't seen much of difference between the two compressors. In some cases the DV footage actually runs faster than some CG clips i've made.

I'm running more Flash based visuals now and they seem to slow down more than anything when there's 2 layers of actionscript visuals. My guess is the Flash player is responsible for this more than Resolume. Rumor has it Flash player 8 will play much faster. Who knows.

I'd love to hear what everyone else is using and what sort of output results you're getting.

VJ555

Post by VJ555 »

Hi,

Toshiba Satellite Pro - Centrino "M" 1.4Ghz
1Gb Ram
60Gb HD 7200RPM ( Not Standard, added recently - This helped run graphics by a huge amount )
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 ( NO problems with Reso until we got to 2.1, now nothing! :( )
Win XP Pro SP1
All Video streamed from HD, external used only for back-up ( Found Reso 1.5 kept loosing deck thumbnails on remote drives, also a bit dodgy in clubs!!! )
UC-33 Midi controller ( coudn't do without it now !! )

All Video's AVI Cinepac most 320x240 - Started working in 400x300 as Projector i've got is 800x600 native, so up-scaling far better.
No problems with flash ( as yet )

Alan

seex

Post by seex »

Good idea,

But how can we know how much frames resolume is crunching exaclty?

But as it seems im getting a full FPS output with three layers of PAL resolution, clips are from 30sec to 2 minutes all coded with PIC video mjpg codec.

Im using a shutlle sb81p
a P4 3.2 HT 1mb L2 memory
512 ram
7200 rpm HD
nvidea 6600 pci-express

Xp SP1

If i stay with clips of the same resolution and codec im getting the most out of resolume, as soon as i try to combine with older works in 640x480 cinepack or LEAD mjpg The HD goes rumbeling and i get a framedrop that is not constant but changing.

I recomend more ram since after a few hours im using all of it, i treyed one gig with 1024 mb and resolume was running much better.

I dont get any framedrop as long as i stay in one resolution and codec even with all the efect slots taken (6 effects all together).

ecin

Post by ecin »

wow. that's pretty sweet. i've always wondered about mixing footage sizes, i figure they wouldn't play together nicley and maybe thats one of the reaosns why i'm not getting the speed i want.

i'm gonna give those codec's a try.

[Edited on 10-3-2005 by ecin]

juba
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by juba »

Originally posted by VJ555
Toshiba Satellite Pro - Centrino "M" 1.4Ghz
1Gb Ram
60Gb HD 7200RPM ( Not Standard, added recently - This helped run graphics by a huge amount )
NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 ( NO problems with Reso until we got to 2.1, now nothing! :( )
Win XP Pro SP1
All Video streamed from HD, external used only for back-up ( Found Reso 1.5 kept loosing deck thumbnails on remote drives, also a bit dodgy in clubs!!! )
UC-33 Midi controller ( coudn't do without it now !! )

All Video's AVI Cinepac most 320x240 - Started working in 400x300 as Projector i've got is 800x600 native, so up-scaling far better.
No problems with flash ( as yet )

Alan
i use a toshiba m30 laptop, also 7200 rpm 60gb disk, 512 mb ram, same nvidia, sp2 at the moment and resolume 2.1, using midi and a ps2 controller, cinepack 400x300 video running okay... but my xp is getting crappy.

we should all use the same test movies for mixing in the same conditions to find what is a good setup... would be interesting :)

VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJ Nexus »

Originally posted by seex
Good idea,

But how can we know how much frames resolume is crunching exaclty?

press ctrl+alt+i

that gives you a frame rate count plus other useful performance info

seex

Post by seex »

Thanks NexusIntent, realy usefull, ill be back with exact info