Bro, does your rig even lift?
Anonymous

Shared memory always bad idea?

Post by Anonymous »

I got offered this laptop:

Type processor Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
768 MB DDR 333Mhz
TFT XGA 15 inch 1024 x 768

but it's with a shared memory vidcard. how bad is that?

i'm going to run my clips off a 7200 firewire.

should i get this laptop?

thanks!

continuity-B
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by continuity-B »

I think its probably not the best idea. Although the memory on a video card is really for 3D textures etc for gaming which resolume doesn't use, the fact it will be stealing some of your main memory doesn't sound great.

( I don't know but it might also affect the effective clock-speed of your video ram if it is in contention with the main ram? Maybe not...)

Also most shard mem video cards tend to be low-end, and remember you really want an Ati or Matrox card at least for resolume for their output options.

However, without checking I think the Ati shared cards are the 'IGP' ones which might not actually be too bad judging by the few things I've read about them.

continuity-B
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by continuity-B »

Sorry my last post looked a little one sided and wouldn't want to put you off what might be a good deal. I haven't actually tried this kind of setup so it might well be absolutely fine, just my thoughts since no one else replied.

In fact if it does work fine, it could be a good setup since your running an extra 7200rpm firewire drive. Drive speed in my experience is the biggest limiting factor in resolume performance that you can most effectively improve on and you've got about as good as is reasonable with a laptop drivewise, short of a 10,000rpm drive.

Bet you wish you never asked now...:)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

hmmm but i guess i can't use the theater mode function of a radeon card for example. tricky!