New build, GPU choice

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: New build, GPU choice

Post by Oaktown »

Pls correct me if i am wrong!GTX 1080 only got 5 outputs.
Wrong, GTX 1080 is 4 outputs. It has 5 physical outputs ( 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 3 DP) but you can only use 4 simultaneously.
Base on my experience if you running on 2 gpu SLI configuration you will still only had 5 outputs,if you got six projector to hook up it will not works for ur rig too.
Correct, SLI will use the slave card to increase the graphics capacity but disable the outputs on that card.

There will be no know performance advantage to using SLI with Resolume so it'd be better to use the two GTX 1080 cards. That will give a total of 8 outputs (1 UI + 7 available with 3 on the main card and 4 on the secondary card).

Keep in mind that using a secondary card will result in a performance hit but the GTX 1080 is a powerful card so it should be fine.

wsimard
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by wsimard »

Nvidia gaming cards usually have up to 4 outputs.

Finally, my setup will be 1x GTX 1060 6 GB with 2x Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital SE. I know I would have loved 2x Datapath x4, but it's 5x the cost of the Matrox. I will power the Matrox with an external USB PSU since the software seems to be crap, and I will closely monitor the temp of the units and see if it need additionnal cooling.

Jloh313
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Jloh313 »

Thanks Oaktown.Did anyone try running Resolume with Firepro gpu?Or maybe i should ask which type of gpu is more suitable for Resolume?Gaming graphics card or workstation graphics card(Firepro/Quadro)?Because i was waiting for the Radeon Pro WX series,if is not recommended then i will just go for Nvidia GTX series card.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I would stick with Nvidia GTX series cards. It's hard to go wrong with a GTX 1080 these days.

Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Warspite »

Fire Pro may have some advantages as well as Quadro, because different outputs can be framelocked. Usual GTX and Radeon Cards will have some delay between different outputs.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

If you want to sync two or more GPUs then yes the FirePro/Quadro series will be able to do that but keep in mind that Resolume will not take advantage of multi-GPU setup and your main GPU will be rendering for all other cards so you'll be experiencing a hit in performance.

Also from experience I would gravitate towards Nvidia products rather that AMD for stability reasons. The GEForce driver is rock solid but I've never personally tested the Quadro drivers so I cannot speak for that.

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

wsimard wrote:I hope I didn't sound rude. But I think it's worth taking some time to read how PCI-E lanes works. In our case, Z270 may have an advantage over the X99.

But I would be very curious to see 2 machines side-by-side, with similar specs, starting with a machine with only 1 GPU, then adding PCI-E cards/m.2 devices and benchmarking everytime.
I'll just leave it at I respectfully disagree and server components have their own uses. Resolume is not one of them. But if you are going to build a tray machine its best to use x99 currently and I've seen LTT opinions on it before.
There will be little to no difference in the example you mentioned until you start adding a ton of other components that might be helpful for a media server.

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

Oaktown wrote:If you want to sync two or more GPUs then yes the FirePro/Quadro series will be able to do that but keep in mind that Resolume will not take advantage of multi-GPU setup and your main GPU will be rendering for all other cards so you'll be experiencing a hit in performance.

Also from experience I would gravitate towards Nvidia products rather that AMD for stability reasons. The GEForce driver is rock solid but I've never personally tested the Quadro drivers so I cannot speak for that.
I agree and also some of the more robust IO port count cards don't have the greatest horsepower so using 2 is likely to multiply the performance loss. I don't have a card like a Eyeinfinity but more monitors coming off a card x2 with a older gpu seems like trouble.

I would however really like to see the results of a titan xp mix matched with something like a NVIDIA NVS 810 to see what happens to the performance. I don't own either of these cards to try it.

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

Sorry for double post but Joris seems to have already touched on a NVS and a Geforce card together topic and it is pretty much a huge hassle. Which leaves you with using a multi port card like eye infinity that doesn't have the power of the most recent gpus.
Link to thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12694
So unless there is budget for 2 high end geforce cards with their respective ports for devices a datapath is still the way to go.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Which leaves you with using a multi port card like eye infinity that doesn't have the power of the most recent gpus.
I use to design most of my projects using AMD HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 GPUs. Even though it did give me 1 UI + 5 outputs and ran pretty smooth most of the time, I spend countless hours chasing ghosts & glitches and most of the issues came from the AMD drivers. I cannot tell you how many times I had to roll back several versions to find a more stable version.

I got so frustrated during one complex project (2 datapath with 8 projectors mapped and blended on 4 different planes) that I bought an EVGA GTX 980 4 GB and got it overnighted. The next day I spent a half day swapping GPUs, cleaning up drivers, and testing the comp and the difference in stability was night and day! The project ran smooth for 1 whole week and I was hooked!

A few weeks later, I pulled all our AMD GPUs (which I sold them on eBay) and replaced them with EVGA GTX980 cards and all the ghosts & glitches I'd been dealing with for years went away! I still use Nvidia GTX980 GPU on all our media servers and I have no issues whatsoever. A few months ago, I just bought a couple of liquid cooled EVGA GTX980 6GB cards for ~$350 per when they were getting rid of them and I love them. Next step will definitely to upgrade to GTX1080 cards but for now since it's "ain't broken"...!