Novastar Video Processor/Sending Card Advice

Bro, does your rig even lift?
MikeG
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Novastar Video Processor/Sending Card Advice

Post by MikeG »

Hello, I am new to LED video and even after many many hours (days....weeks) of online research I still have a bit of confusion that could be cleared up swiftly by someone who has experience. My question is in regards to choosing an appropriate Video Processor/Sending Card. My debate is between a Novastar VX4 or a Novastar MCTRL 660. They appear to have the same sending card but the difference is the VX4 is also a Scaler/Processor. Are the extra functions in the VX4, like scaling, useless or redundant since I am using Arena 5 with the built-in Advanced Output options? I tried answering my own questions by reading up and fiddling around with Advanced Output but I am still a bit confused on this.

My initial basic goal is to send Resolume Compositions already created at 1920x1080 to a 6 panel video wall. The video panels are 128x128 pixels per panel and will be arranged 3Widthx2Height. I want to simply resize the 1080p output from Resolume to fit the video wall (384x256) without having to redo the compositions.

Which sending card would make this work without extra $$ for features I don't need?

I realize this is probably a pretty basic question but I have found myself needing clarification.
Thanks for any advice on this!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Novastar Video Processor/Sending Card Advice

Post by Oaktown »

My initial basic goal is to send Resolume Compositions already created at 1920x1080 to a 6 panel video wall. The video panels are 128x128 pixels per panel and will be arranged 3Widthx2Height. I want to simply resize the 1080p output from Resolume to fit the video wall (384x256) without having to redo the compositions.
You don't need an external scaler to achieve that with Resolume so if that all you need to do, I would save some money and get the MCTRL600. As a note, 384x256 is not the same ration as 1920x1080 so in addition to scaling and unless you don't want to stretch your image, you'll need the ability to choose an area of interest (AOI) that matches your final output.

The only time you would really need a scaler when you use Resolume is when you send one signal to two different outputs such as a HDTV and a video wall. Then you'd want to output 1920x1080, split the signal and scale it up/down for the video wall but in doing that you'll introduce at least 1-3 frame of latency between the two screens depending on the scaler so it's best to do that when they are not to be viewed at the same time.

Other than that Resolume can handle all you scaling needs as long as you have enough outputs on your GPU(s).

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

660 is my go to. I only use scalers when I'm NOT using Resolume. RGB Link makes some pretty decent scalers for really cheap btw.

Are all of your gigs centered around resolume? (When doing I-MAG, There's no media server, just switchers and scalers)

You could also use a live input into resolume and use resolume as a scaler in a pinch (also cheaper to buy an input card than a descent scaler)

MikeG
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by MikeG »

Awesome! Much thanks Oaktown and dinga for the super helpful info!

Arena 5 is definitely the hub for my little setup so I will happily save some bucks and get a more appropriate 660 or 600 controller. Once I get the gear in hand I will have to play around with stretching or finding an area of interest to see what looks best. Most of what I am creating is more like abstract effects so it should be easy enough to find something that looks good.

dinga, I assume you prefer the 660 to the 600 for the built in setup display/controls? Thanks for mentioning I-MAG. Lots of great work done there! I will inquire about some of the Gloshine panels for sale.