Multi input capture cards

Bro, does your rig even lift?
_Jez_
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Multi input capture cards

Post by _Jez_ »

Has anyone tried a capture card with multiple inputs in Resolume? You can pick on up on ebay for around £150 and I fugured it would be a nice way of getting loads of live video into Resolume.

MtB
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by MtB »

multi input video cards work fine with resolume / arkaos as I tried...
the major point is, no matter how the cards spesifications are low, when u begin to get feed from 4 of 4 inputs (mine was with 4 in) system begin to responds slowly... but the card which I tried was old and I suppose, video hardware uses mass amount of system process to handle 4 video inputs. i suppose, card, encodes the video signal(s) with a spesific header and cpu separetes them to channels. but as I told you the card which I tried was rather old...

now, we are using 4 seperate tv cards input feature as video capture devices which has a hardware based encoder and runs in different pci busses.

imho, I never used more than 2 video feeds at the same time. so now, we are using something like this,

lets say we have 4 video sources,
I split them into 2 so I have 4 time 2 video signals, lets say a1 a2 a3 a4 and b1 b2 b3 and b4 I insert the video signals to a video mixers input buses in a configuration of vmA a1 a2 a3 a4 and vmb b1 b2 b3 b4... which gives me opportunity to use same image with effected via video mixer and orginal. I also loop the video signals out to vj machine which also necessary. looks complicated and expensive because you need another video mixer and video source times video splitter, but, when you figure out what you can do with this kind of video source setup it becomes a life saver.

hope that might helps
bw

t.

levon
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by levon »

if you just got two of those 4in-1out video switchers, like what can be used for game consoles, dvds and what not, you could have 8 inputs, 2 at any given time, and you can get 4input video monitors, so 2 of those, and you can see what is on each camera before switching to it. you just have to make sure that the video switcher isnt on screen when you change the camera.

_Jez_
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by _Jez_ »

I have all the video mixers and switches and bits like that, I was thinking it would be of more use for the smaller gigs when I don't have enough time or they arn't paying me enough to warent a complicated setup. A single PC with 8 inputs and Resolume would be ideal for this kind of situation even if it is a little limiting.

I will do some experimenting if it does not work I will just end up nice CCTV system for the house ;-)

MtB
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by MtB »

if they are not paying you enough, why u set up 8 cameras :P

bw

t.