New Build Advice

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: New Build Advice

Post by Oaktown »

Probably the best way to achieve a good blend is to have all of the signals come from the same GPU or breakdown a larger signal into a processor such as a Datapath FX4.

disconappete
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by disconappete »

In the past I have gone straight out of my HD7970 card into Analog Way PLS300s(just for still store bail out, and out of the PLS300s into Decimator MD-HX cross converters to extend to Panasonic PT-DZ13Ks, and I have gotten good blends and there was no tri/burst. Or at least I thought they were good blends; I couldn't see anything visibly wrong or noticeably different from using an Ascender or similar with genlock. I couldn't tell that there was anything wrong.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Were you blending in the Analog Way or in Arena?

Black Burst is a great way to Gen Lock different sources but what we're discussing here is the ability to sync one source into multiple outputs/displays which is a bit different. You shouldn't have any problems syncing 3 DP outputs using one Nvidia 1080ti card but it become trickier if you need to spread your outputs into two or more GPUs which is when the Nvidia Quadro Sync setup becomes useful.

Another approach would be to push larger content (4K or more) from one output into a processor (such as Datapath FX4 or FX4-SDI) that can break it down into individual sync'ed outputs and manage the blend in the Arena Advanced Output.

disconappete

Post by disconappete »

Blending in Arena, the PLS300 doesn't have any blending capabilities just a switch. I would go through two PLS300 switchers because they were available and I wanted to have a reliable bail out option in case Arena were to crash or something weird so just a still on each switcher, each being half of the map.

Another scenario I have done was for a 3:1 screen and I did the blend on the Panasonic PT-DZ13ks and just used arena to send the blend content, for PiPs outside of the blend region I used the PLS300, for PiPs and graphics in the blended region I did that on Arena, I never had any sync issues.

disconappete

Post by disconappete »

"Black Burst is a great way to Gen Lock different sources but what we're discussing here is the ability to sync one source into multiple outputs/displays which is a bit different. You shouldn't have any problems syncing 3 DP outputs using one Nvidia 1080ti card but it become trickier if you need to spread your outputs into two or more GPUs"

I guess I was under the impression that the 1080ti card would be the one GPU clock, and that the DeckLink Quad2 would be more like an integrated SDI converter not a second GPU.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I guess I was under the impression that the 1080ti card would be the one GPU clock, and that the DeckLink Quad2 would be more like an integrated SDI converter not a second GPU.
As far as I understand, there is no way to use the GPU as the clock master for the capture cards or other GPUs (unless they have a hardware/software sync feature).
Blending in Arena, the PLS300 doesn't have any blending capabilities just a switch. I would go through two PLS300 switchers because they were available and I wanted to have a reliable bail out option in case Arena were to crash or something weird so just a still on each switcher, each being half of the map.
Yes of course! As a I wrote my response to you, I was working on a show with a similar set but an Analog Way Ascender 32 instead of the PLS300 and we were blending in the Ascender 32 in order to integrate a 2M/E switcher with live cameras in the blend.
Another scenario I have done was for a 3:1 screen and I did the blend on the Panasonic PT-DZ13ks and just used arena to send the blend content, for PiPs outside of the blend region I used the PLS300, for PiPs and graphics in the blended region I did that on Arena,
I typically do all of my GFX work in Arena except for IMAG which I pull from seamless switchers which is why we were blending screens in the Ascender 32.
I never had any sync issues.
I've never had any issues blending projectors when the content came from one Nvidia GPU. My recommendation is to not mix HDMI/DVI outputs with DP outputs so I typically pull my blend only from the DP outputs. I also quite often use the Datapath units for larger blends.