Recommend Display port 4k 60Hz HDbaseT Extender

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Warspite
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Recommend Display port 4k 60Hz HDbaseT Extender

Post by Warspite »

4k 60Hz. 70 meters is enough.
Or, if it is not possible with Cat5-6 cable, or quality is compromised with compression - then optical extender.
Can i hope for 0 delay with this extenders?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Recommend Display port 4k 60Hz HDbaseT Extender

Post by Oaktown »

We've got a bunch of HDbaseT extenders at our warehouse but this is what I use the most: http://www.gefen.com/product/4k-ultra-h ... AT5-ELRPOL

I use it them very successfully in WUXGA and I don't experience any visible latency
but I know they can do 4K Ultra HD (3860 x 2160 at 60 Hz, 4:2:0). I always spec CAT6a copper cable for all my long runs.

A couple things that are great about this unit is that 1) you can power either the sender or the receiver and 2) you can add network to the A/V signal so that you can control your projectors over LAN which is great for projectors with a shutter that support Artnet.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I just noticed that the title said "Displayport"!

HDBaseT carries HDMI signal not Displayport or VGA so you can use a Displayport to HDMI cable from your computer but on the receiving end, you'll end up with HDMI. Some extenders provide the option of having VGA, HDMI and Displayport but both VGA and Displayport has to be converted it before it gets sent over the network.

As an additional note there is HDBaseT 2.0 but it limits you to 4K @ 30Hz so if you need 60 Hz, I would stick with HDBaseT 1.0.

Also I found this article to guide you in the right direction and here is what the latency should be like over 100m of cable:
What kind of latency can I expect in video transmission?
Latency is the measurable time that it takes a signal to get from one point to another. HDBaseT adds virtually no latency to the signal – less than 10 microseconds over 100m of cable.

(One microsecond (μs) equals to one millionth (1/1,000,000) of a second. One microsecond is to one second what one second is to 11.6 days.)

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Datapath has a great fibre DisplayPort cable.

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

Thanks for you replies!
I am looking for solution to move all cabling from LED screens (for every 655360 pixels you need separate cable+redundant cable) away from FOH to backstage and plan to connect FOH to a distant Datapath FX4 (or pair of them).
Regarding Datapath cable - it is short. Also it is not looking rugged enough to survive stage environment.

Currently i have three options:
Display port extender->HDBaseT. I see that at 60 Fps you are limited to 4:2:0 compression. Do not know how this affects quality. Also converters do not offer stable connectors like neutrik ethercon.
Display port extender->Tactical Optical Cable.
HDMI->SDI 4K. Will be limited to 30FPS, do not like this, but SDI infrastructure is very stable and rich with converters, switchers, extenders etc. Cable and connection are very solid and robust. Also this conversion will cost about 2 frames. Do not know if optical and HDBaseT can do signal conversions without delay penalty.

I would prefer HDBaseT if some of you guys can confirm that some model of extender is absolutely stable at 4k and compression does not affect quality.

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

Found that Extron has a HDBaseT model with 4k 60Hz 4:4:4 compression. It is new and HDMI only, but hope that they will also update it with Display Port version.
Model is DTP2 T 211 https://www.extron.com/product/product. ... p2t211&s=4
Is Extron stable HDBaseT brand?

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

Ok, it was just a matter of time.
Now there are Gefen and Lindy optical extenders, they finally supports 4k 60Hz Display port. Very expensive - but it is also a matter of time :lol:
http://www.gefen.com/product/4k-600-mhz ... -4K600-1SC
https://www.lindy.co.uk/audio-video-c2/ ... nder-p8863

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It’s actually a pretty reasonable price considering what you get. I remember spending over $2500 on our gefen dual-link DVI fiber optic adapters and we still use them on a regular basis almost 10 years down the road so it was a great investment.

Think about what you can do with that adapter and a datapath FX4!