Multicam Setup to Resolume

Bro, does your rig even lift?
fgalego
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Multicam Setup to Resolume

Post by fgalego »

Hey there everyone! :D

Been using Resolume Arena for VJ.
Now performing with a live band and I would like to implement multicam to the performance.

Don't have any cameras or external cards like BlackMagic, and I'm a noob on that. That's why I'm asking here.

I would like to put like 3,4,5 cameras on stage (don't have any yet but I would buy) just to output them to live video LED panels from resolume. What should I buy to get started and how to put it into motion ? :P
It could be like GoPros or webcams attached in the stage, and then get them all together to my PC (80~100ft aprox distance), with no freezing and minimum lag.

Low budget here, but would love to hear your opinions anyways to get started ASAP.

Best regards :)

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Multicam Setup to Resolume

Post by Arvol »

These are my goto:
http://www.lcdracks.com/servers-cameras ... 505-MB.php

I use 2-3 and use USB capture devices. For your setup you'll need a desktop with a PCIe card.
Blackmagic and AJA make good ones.

If you're really on a budget, you could buy a good Wireless router (AC series) and have all of you guys install a NDI camera app on your phones and then route them into Resolume 6 as sources.

Be sure to hide the network name and secure it so no-one else get's on and eats up your bandwidth.

fgalego

Post by fgalego »

Thank you for your reply!

Not being on a budget, what kind of setup would you advise ?
It would be ideal to connect like 3/4 cams connected to a single device, and from there 1 single cable to my PC (being able to switch cams there in resolume). Is there any kind of external video capture or something to connect like 3/4 webcams there, and from there to pc? It would be nice to spare some video processing,, so my resolume could run like a charme.

Best regards

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

To be honest, the problem with external capture devices is the interface bandwidth in between the capture device and the computer. USB3 can only do 4k@30, Thunderbolt 3 can handle more, but there's only a handful of devices that support that, and those devices only support a single input.

Here's another method to get this working for you on a mobile setup, that doesn't involve outboard camera switchers:

If you don't need 1080p or higher resolutions for each of your cameras (outputting to led walls with actual pixels in the 720p range, or you don't mind up scaling), you could use this device:
http://decimator.com/Products/MultiView ... _Quad.html

Or this one, if you want a viewer:
http://lilliputweb.net/a12-lilliput-12- ... h-sdi.html

to take in 4 sources (the camera's I listed earlier are still my go to choice for on stage cameras).
From here you would send out a single 1080p signal to a capture device (I like Magewell and AJA) and then inside Resolume you could do a little magic.

You would add this capture device to it's own layer and then bypass the layer, then inside advanced output you could add 4 screens and set each of their slice inputs to the layer with the capture device and then resize the input slice to fit one of the 4 cameras, repeat with a different camera choice for each of the screens. (breaking the screen into quads). Be sure to un-check the two tick boxes at the top that involve layer opacity and bypass, this will prevent the quad view to come through to the composition.

Now put those 4 screens at the bottom of your list and set their outputs to Spout, then create a new screen and put it on top and set it's input to composition.

Close out of advanced output and add 1-4 new layer and add your 4 Spout input devices (the screens you just created) to one or all of those layers.

You now have a 4 camera switching system.

Be sure to set your original capture device clip to "Persistent" and always keep it on.

Your camera input resolution will be 960x540 if you're using a 1080p composition.
From there it is being resized to a 1080p output (2 times up scaling)

**********************************************************************************

If budget wasn't an option, I would just use a desktop with a 4-8 input capture card (AJA, Decklink, Blackmagic)
**********************************************************************************

Here's a video demonstrating the method (layer 1 is acting as my input capture card, it's just a test card though... Same principle applies):

phpBB [video]

You can use outboard camera switchers as well if they give out a quad view.

If you are interested in the Decimator, Shoot me an offer and I'll sell you mine. I used it on one tour and its been collecting dust in my pelican case ever since.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

https://www.aja.com/products/io-4k

Is probably one of the better solutions for 4k cameras and is supported by resolume.

Edit: meant 4x cameras. Technically it’s 4k via 4xsdi. But it’s not 4x 4k.
Last edited by drazkers on Sat Jul 21, 2018 21:30, edited 1 time in total.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

That's impressive! I didn't know there was a non pcie in out option that allowed for more than 2 simultaneous inputs at once.
Thunderbolt makes sense.
Very cool.
Nice find.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I have used the OWC Mercury Helios 2 with Blackmagic PCIe cards many times and captured up to (5) 1080 p30 signals via Thunderbolt 2 using a Duo 2 and a Studio 2 and it worked great.

Now they have released the Mercury Helios 3 so I would think you could probably capture (8) 1080p30 with a Quad 2 card.

im_borealis

Post by im_borealis »

I've seen this done this before: Get some IP cameras, then bring their RTSP streams into Resolume. Zero additional hardware required (except an ethernet switch or wifi router). Quite inexpensive. Plus, you even get PTZ!
The ones I saw used were an older model of these: https://amcrest.com/amcrest-1080p-wifi- ... ra-pt.html

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

im_borealis wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 02:04 I've seen this done this before: Get some IP cameras, then bring their RTSP streams into Resolume. Zero additional hardware required (except an ethernet switch or wifi router). Quite inexpensive. Plus, you even get PTZ!
The ones I saw used were an older model of these: https://amcrest.com/amcrest-1080p-wifi- ... ra-pt.html
How are you bringing RTSP streams into resolume? Virtual device or sending over ndi/sport from a companion app?

im_borealis

Post by im_borealis »

drazkers wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 08:54 How are you bringing RTSP streams into resolume? Virtual device or sending over ndi/sport from a companion app?
Mac: Bring up the RTSP stream in VLC, then Syphon it into Resolume.
Windows: Bring up the RTSP stream in VLC, then NDI to Resolume. <-- I prefer this way.