UPGRADE TIME: 7700k VS 8700k Input

Bro, does your rig even lift?
xdjxklusivex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

UPGRADE TIME: 7700k VS 8700k Input

Post by xdjxklusivex »

So its time to get a little more kick out of this rig. I currently have a i5 7600k on a z270 gaming 5 board and it works good but cpu usage sits around 85-100% most of the time. Temps stay decent because of all the cooling I have in the case but I just dont like the usage range.

My 2 options
A- keep the same 270 chipset board and just upgrade to a i7 7700k processor (quad) for roughly $300

B- Upgrade the board to MSI z370m gaming pro ac board with a i7 8700k (six core) processor for around $500.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075G ... PDKIKX0DER

I am running matx form so I do limit myself to what boards I can work with and expansion in the future. I have my 1070 and decklink duo that will move over for sure. Benefit of option 2 is its onboard ac wifi so I wont need a pci card which frees up a slot for a better sound card or even my mini recorder to live in there full time.

I figured I could either sell the current board and processor or reuse some parts to create another medium duty rig. Lets hear the opinions!

efferao
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: UPGRADE TIME: 7700k VS 8700k Input

Post by efferao »

save up for some time and go with the 8700k or a new ryzen or threadripper, depending on which kind of software you use the most. The difference between a 7600 and a 7700 is minimum, mostly the hyperthreading which gives very marginal performance boost, not worth 300$

BUT, if you have a constantly high CPU usage even when doing nothing I suggest you some other kind of problem on that system, 7th gen i5 are still very capable processors. maybe some software bull$h*t going on

xdjxklusivex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: UPGRADE TIME: 7700k VS 8700k Input

Post by xdjxklusivex »

efferao wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 21:15 save up for some time and go with the 8700k or a new ryzen or threadripper, depending on which kind of software you use the most. The difference between a 7600 and a 7700 is minimum, mostly the hyperthreading which gives very marginal performance boost, not worth 300$

BUT, if you have a constantly high CPU usage even when doing nothing I suggest you some other kind of problem on that system, 7th gen i5 are still very capable processors. maybe some software bull$h*t going on
Ended up picking up the 8700k and a z370 board last night lol.

Only time the cpu usage spikes is when playing with resolume, other than that its normal.