Razer Blade 15 GPU

Bro, does your rig even lift?
infestedw
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Razer Blade 15 GPU

Post by infestedw »

Hey guys i'm looking for a definitive answer on which GPU I should get in the new Razer blade 15.

I've been searching forums and can't find a solid answer. I don't know resolume that well yet and want to heavily get into it, but I don't know which GPU to get. Will the GTX 1060 ($1599-$1699) be enough for me to pump out visuals for decently sized clubs and small bars? Or would upping to the RTX 2070 (+$800-$1000) be a good suggestion for the future and onwards?

It's a big commitment for me, I don't want to spend the extra $800 unless i really need to, I'm happy with everything else in the 1060, just worried about the graphics card and resolume.

lightbx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Razer Blade 15 GPU

Post by lightbx »

As someone who does not own a Razer Blade:

- I’d spring for the 2080 just to future proof. For any pro’s out there ready to hit me with the law of diminishing returns, now is your chance to roast me.

- I’m not a fan of using Arena with small-form 4K displays (under 24”). Everything is so tiny! I got eagle eyes and it still bugs me.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I have blades with a 1060, 1070, 2070, and 2080. They all perform pretty much the same for what you're wanting to do.

Do you plan to take this machine to EDC or Ultra where you have (2) 4K outputs and 150 slices? If the answer is no, then a 1060 will get you by just fine.

But, do you plan to sell this in the future? Then getting the latest tech will help your re-sell value. For me, I run my machines until they die.

I own over 15 unit's and haven't had on die yet. They're solid workhorses.
I've ran festivals with (2) 4K out's with 10 slices and about 6-8 layers (not to mention 5-10 active FX) and it never dropped under 45fps with that work load. Not to mention this was out in the 105 degree heat for 12 hours.

whichever way you go, you'll be good.

Currently there's an issue with the new mobile RTX cards and windows 1809 btw. I have Nvidia looking into it and testing Arena with their latest driver updates. Hoping for a fix in the next week. Right now my 2080 get's about 18fps with a single 4K display. It's a windows/Nvidia issue, so it should be fixed pretty soon.
Just thought I'd give you a heads up, in case you go the RTX route.

woody438

Post by woody438 »

Hey @Arvol

I have just ordered a custom build with RTX2080 in it, then read your comment only 5 mins later!

Do you think it just applies to RTX2080 Max Q as in the razer, or do you think it applies to the full blown RTX mobile edition?

Your thoughts welcome, and obviously ill do some testing as soon as it arrives my end!

thx

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Not a clue lol. sorry.
I do know it's tied to Windows version 1809.
Nvidia has had a test comp and some DXV3 files I sent them a few weeks ago, so I know it is being worked on.

I saw a driver update last night, so I'm going to try out the new driver tomorrow afternoon.

woody438

Post by woody438 »

great stuff please let me know how you get on - i just saw it updated on the website too

hopefully my new OTT RTX2080 laptop will be delivered thursday

cheers

TioPablo

Post by TioPablo »

How was the end? Thank you!

TioPablo

Post by TioPablo »

I have been working for a couple of months with an RTX2070 with an i9 9900, without major problems.

jaydeeshow
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by jaydeeshow »

Hi guys,

I built my system less than two years ago,
1080Ti 11gb.
i7
32gb.

I mainly do corporate, lots of logos, some videos. Nothing more than 2 full HD or 4K video plus 10 logo at the same time, said that, I’m gonna use it until dies, I’m thinking to buy a portable because this it’s heavy!

Any recommendations?

Plus, if I upgrade to 7 is my machine still super fine?

I’m very happy with the last 6... the undo is probably the only cool thing for me.

Tell me more, because for sure I’m not changing my server, I need to make money back 🤑

I also have a 1060 that I’m going to sell or put in an easy installation.

Thank you for now.

Best,