Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI, or straight to SDI?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
EC from BE
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI, or straight to SDI?

Post by EC from BE »

What kind of converters do you guys use to go from the Thunderbolt 3 output to HDMI?
Is there a way to go straight to SDI?

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Thunderbolt 3 to HDMI, or straight to SDI?

Post by He2neg »

thunderbolt 3 is (on the video signal side) Displayport and all DP outputs are able to be HDMi as well... so you just can use a Adapter for that (~10 bucks) Care it dont work the other way ;)

SDI is a different Signal so you need a Converter. Good Converters be around 60-150€ Blackmagic has some https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/pro ... converters

A good text about HDMI / DP you can find on the barco site...
https://www.barco.com/en/news/2018-11-2 ... t-and-hdmi
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

EC from BE
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by EC from BE »

Thx He2neg,

I was mainly looking for a solution to go directly from Thunderbolt 3 to SDI, but could not find a simple small converter for that, there is no Blackmagic converter that does this?

Adapting from thunderbolt 3 to HDMI, and then converting from HDMI to SDI to go over a BNC connector.. I mean, shouldn't we have a more elegant solution by now? We always use a dongle and an Imagepro to do this at the venue I work, I was just wondering if there isnt a way to bypass one of these steps.

Also, as I understood from Resolume, USB dongles might not support hardware acceleration.. so I was wondering what adaptor might be best for using on a DongleBook Pro..

Cheers,

E

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

EC from BE wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 01:20 ...
Also, as I understood from Resolume, USB dongles might not support hardware acceleration.. so I was wondering what adaptor might be best for using on a DongleBook Pro..
Cheers,
E
Not sure what usb dongles you are talking about....

Back to Topic:

As Mentioned when you have a DP out and use a DP to HDMI (cable) into a HDMI Input. Then you just use the DP plug but the Signal provided by your card will be HDMI from the start on so i dont see a problem to use a hdmi to sdi converter here.

There are DP to SDI Scan Converter from AJA
https://www.aja.com/products/roi-dp
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~