Post by LightNFeel »

Hi,

I recently purchased a brand new MacBook Pro 16" with following specs:
  • 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
  • 1 TB SSD
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 4x Thunderbolt 3
I was previously running resolume Arena on a desktop PC with native HDMI outputs. Now I have to purchase some TB3 --> HDMI adapters. I would like to get your opinion/advices about that.

I need only two 4K / 60Hz HDMI outputs. I know that it could be sometime difficult to achieve it because some adapters are limited either to 2K and/or to 30Hz.

I am also discovering that all these adapters, cables, ... are really annoying and time consuming to re-install each time you move. Therefore I am considering to purchase a reliable TB3 docking. It must contain:
  • power supply (at least 96W)
  • 1000BASE-T Ethernet (control from grandMA2)
  • USB 3.0 type A ports (control from AKAI APC40 Mk2)
  • display outputs (2x, HDMI and/or DP)
Do you think it is a better idea to purchase a general usage docking with ports above + a dedicated high perf dual HDMI outputs adapter? Or do you know a docking which is able to handle everything in a reliable manner?

Thanks in advance for your help, based on your experience.

LightNFeel
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Apple MacBook Pro 16" - HDMI outputs

Post by LightNFeel »

Is there any owner of MBP 16" in this forum?

What would be your purchase advice between docking station and dedicated TB3-HDMI adapter for dual 4K / 60Hz HDMI outputs?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I've got several MBP (16in & 15in) and i'm a big fan of USB-C to HDMI cables such as this one on Amazon.

LightNFeel

Post by LightNFeel »

Thank you Oaktown.

In the meantime, someone else advised me this other Cable Matters product:

Cable Matters Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI Adapter

I understand from your answers that:
  • It is better to use dedicated TB3 to HDMI adapters.
  • Cable Matters seems to be a reliable brand.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I own one of these and would not recommend using it in a production environment! My first one failed after a few weeks of use and was replaced, the second one which I use in my studio worked great for a few months but is now giving me some issues.

LightNFeel

Post by LightNFeel »

Yes, he also told me that this dual HDMI adapter case could be quite hot. Maybe not good for internal electronic parts.

Since this 16" MBP has 4x TB3 ports, I can easily consider using two times a cable like you suggested. Reliability is my first concern!

I am living in Switzerland. It is really not easy to purchase this brand, except from Amazon.com but with quite big custom taxes...

Is there any other brand which is known to be reliable for production environment?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Couple side notes:

1) I personally use Datapath FX4 in my work flow a lot so I can easily get (8) 1920x1200/60 outputs with two TB3 ports and could extend to (16) 1920x1200/30 if necessary.

2)I'm also using NDI distribution more and more. I have one permanent installation with Resolume Arena with 2 BirdDog Mini units that's been running solid in San Francisco since late November last year.

LightNFeel

Post by LightNFeel »

Thanks for sharing your experience about hardware devices.

In my case, NDI encoders/decoders are usually included in the rental package, together with the LED panel display.

My activity is mainly focused on stage lighting (grandMA2). Video is a side competency I am slowly trying to build, project after project. Therefore I prefer not to invest too much money in things which can be easily rented.