Is RAID 0 or 1 worth it with SSDs?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
tawm
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Is RAID 0 or 1 worth it with SSDs?

Post by tawm »

I am not concerned about data loss, just wondering if there are any Resolume specific benefits (or cons) to running a pair of SSDs in RAID 0 or 1 instead of a single SSD. In this case it would be software RAID via Win10.

On the topic of storage, is read speed all that matters during a Resolume performance?

Looking through the forums I see a few old posts commenting on the benefits of RAID 0 with what I assume are spindle disks, but I also see a ton of new hardware builds using SSD (and even NVMe?) in RAID 0 configuration. Would love your thoughts & experience!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Is RAID 0 or 1 worth it with SSDs?

Post by Zoltán »

I don't think it's worth to do raid for most users with today's fast SSDs. If you play many huge files, it can bring benefits.

https://wintelguy.com/raidperf.pl/?form ... =1&sd=1000

With raid0 if any drive fails, you'll lose all your data.
Raid1 can also make sense, if you expect one drive to fail. For a mission critical server, I'd probably do at least a two disk raid 1 + ECC RAM.

Also, Raid is not a backup ;)
Do you have a good backup strategy?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Yeah Raid 0 is a big no for me. Like Zoltan said any modern SSD setup really doesn't benefit that much from raid IMO.

tawm
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by tawm »

Thanks, gents! This was my suspicion and I appreciate the words of wisdom from those more experienced with the needs of Resolume.

Regarding my backup strategy, Zoltán, I use the classic 3-2-1 approach and am very well covered =) Completely agree with you that RAID is not backup.