Actual dream machine!! Unbelievable!

Bro, does your rig even lift?
VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Actual dream machine!! Unbelievable!

Post by VJ Nexus »

Well, I just finished building my new dream computer, and took resolume 2.4 beta for a spin... holy cow. These are very noteworthy results!

3 layers - 640x480 indeo 5.1 + no effects = 75-85 fps
3 layers, all effect channels + all clip effects (total 6 effects) = 35-40 fps

No lag no matter what i do! I'm trying, i really am! I guess it's time to start encoding at 800x600 and see what i can do. Oh, here are my specs...

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2gb ddr2-5400, 2x74gb 10,000rpm Raptor in RAID 0 for system, 2x74gb 10,000 Raptor in RAID 0 for clips, 2x pci-e Crossfire x1800 gto.

I've never been an intel person until i saw this new processor in action - wow! Read some reviews on it...

[Edited on 12-8-2006 by NexusIntent]

dreamtk
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by dreamtk »

spectacular result ! but sounds like you carry a tower to your gigs. I'll be waiting for the new shuttles to support the fastest duo 2.
Also the future core2 laptops will finally be able to run resolume as fast as any desktops. Now that will be demented ! hehe

Nice set-up though Nex. thanx for sharing bro !

dreamtk

Post by dreamtk »

i think its CTRL-ALT-I

I wonder how much faster the new Core 2 duo Laptops will run Resolume compared to my current Intel 3.4 ghz cpu

These laptops will ship very soon... maybe 2 months time.

I think they're promising them to be as fast as the desktop versions...

It will finally be time to jump to laptops ?

What do you guys think ?

VJ Nexus

Post by VJ Nexus »

I have a few reasons for not using laptops. 1) i love my 10,000rpm raids. 2) I use multiple tv capture cards for cameras, and the usb equivelents don't perform as well, and often have a huge delay. 3) overclocking and heat displacement :)

I have yet to overclock my new E6600, but i've got it running 75-85 degrees Farenheit (23-30 C) at stock, so i know i can go a far way. The massive zalman heatsync is cool to the touch.

Because of this new found power, i will be performing several experiments. First off, I will reencode a bunch of my clips in mjpeg (slightly higher quality than indeo, but a little slower playback) and see if i can still push resolume to the limits without slowing down. I will then experiment with 800x600 processing. Do I foresee resolume HD? I will post my results in this thread shortly...

VJ Nexus

Post by VJ Nexus »

dreamtk - i too have a p4 3.4ghz... it's not even a fair comparison. This new processor is ages ahead of those! I'm still excited about the kind of power i'm seeing here. Intel finally got their act together and completely redesigned their chip architecure. It even runs very cool now...

A little benchmark of my own. I used Maya to model and render a very complex and reflective 3d scene. My p4 3.4ghz took 15 minutes 22 seconds to render one frame. My E6600 took 4 minutes 40 seconds.

dreamtk

Post by dreamtk »

Nexus ! im gobsmacked. I'm saving my pennies as we speak.
Core 2 duo here i come ! ;)

VJ Nexus

Post by VJ Nexus »

I ran some experiments at higher resolutions ... here are my results.

Took same clips (originally 1280x1024) and rendered them in indeo 5.1 at 640x480 and 800x600.

(processed at 640x480)
3 layers - 640x480 indeo 5.1 + no effects = 75-85 fps
3 layers, 640x480 all effect channels + all clip effects (total 6 effects) = 35-40 fps

(processed at 800x600)
3 layers - 800x600 indeo 5.1 + no effects = 50-55 fps
(same as above but with all 3 clips running at 100 speed) = 30-35 fps
3 layers 800x600 all effect channels + all clip effects = 15-22 fps

Clearly some less spectacular results, but still proof that 800x600 is definately not out of reach. The problem is finding footage that is natively that high resolution. I have some stock high definition footage (which is what i used to perform this experiment) but the average person wouldn't have access to a huge amount of 800x600 clips. Even DV is only 720x480 (ntsc).

Personally i'm going to stick with 640x480 simply because all my footage is already that resolution, and it would be impossible to slow down my computer at that resolution. Next I'm playing with mjpeg...

junes-djandvj
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by junes-djandvj »

that's so cool !! nexusINTENT !!
i learned a lot from you ! it could be very interesting to see how you work : wich hardware (i mean keyboard etc) et how do you move your stuff coz the weight is the problem when you don't have a laptop ....
waiting for crazy things (again?)
+++

http://www.junes.fr

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Actual dream machine!! Unbelievable!

Post by pfelberg »

This post is from 2006.
What is the current dream machine to run Arena?
I read about guys running this:
PC - 2.9GHz Xenon Quad Core processor, 12GB Ram, 2xNVS 420 Quadro
plus hard drives, SSD, etc...
And using 7 projectors.

What could beat this?
What´s the use of all that GPU power if Arena will still use just one? Will Arena handle all that outputs plus fx at 30fps? Is this a stupid question? ; )