Recording Resolume Sets - Discuss

Bro, does your rig even lift?
stevey_k
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Recording Resolume Sets - Discuss

Post by stevey_k »

Hi everyone,

For a long time (since i got resolume about a year ago) i've been wandering what the best way to record resolume's output would be, that is, not with the in built recording (as you all know, this feature only really works well for doing short resamples). Now that the time has come to get on with my dissertation (a VJ music video DVD) i think i better figure this out quick!

As it stands, my laptop only has a vga output. I have just ordered a kworld pc to tv box which should allow me to convert from VGA to component (my understanding is, that component is significantly better than composite or s video?). Now from here I need to record this signal, in as high quality as possible, this is where i need some help...

I've noticed there are a number of options, the simplest (and probably best quality) to plug the component video into a DV camera with video input...only i cant seem to find any cameras that have this feature...at least not in a student's price range! I thought a simple DV tape deck would be cheaper...but any i have found (Sony, JVC) are discontinued and going for up to 900 pounds on EBay! This is way to much...how can this be? Essentially i just want a cheap deck to record DV. Considering the fact you can buy one with a lens and a CCD chip for less than 200 pounds (without dv in - WHY?) baffles me.

So i've started to look at some other digital recorders. Cheap HD ones that record in MPeg 4 format seem ok, but this isnt exactly high quality...then there's DVD recorders. Again, this is compressing to Mpeg 1/2. Better quality but still lossy...

Also the idea is to record live "takes" into whatever machine I buy, reimport them to premiere/avid and then edit the best bits. So you can see why i'm bothered about compression...I need my signal chain to be as lossless as possible. The idea that i'm playing compressed clips in resolume, transmitting them (analogue) to whatever recorder, which then recompresses the video, then copying back to the computer, editing, then recompressing again bothers me...i'm scared my output will be a blurry, drivelling mess!

It seems a dvd recorder would probably be the best option, however, I'll have to rip the DVDs back to the hard drive, which takes ages...and the quality from the output there will also depend on the software...can anyone recommend a good app? Ideally, there should be a hd dvd recorder where I can just pull the recorded files off the hd with a usb connection - does not exist because of dumb piracy laws. If i'm wrong, PLEASE correct me!

Ok, so, can anyone recomend either:

A cheap DV camera with video in?
A dvd/hard drive recorder that records VERY good quality video? (and if possible, one where usb can be used to import files straight to the computer!?!?)
Good DVD ripping software, that doesn't take forever, but acheives good quality results?
Anything i've overlooked?

Wow, that was a long one. I do apologise...any help is much appreciated. Please let me know what you all use yourselves, and what sort of results you get?

Steve

Danger
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Danger »

i have always used a DVD recorder where i input the sound from the mixer anda the video from de V4...

BuckRogers
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by BuckRogers »

Same as Danger here except I use a HD recorder in HQ-mode. I have a Sony from about 300 euros witch performs very well. No USB output though....

stevey_k

Post by stevey_k »

hmm yes i have heard good things about the sonys. Apparently they record better than dvd quality on the hd. Still that doesn't really matter much when it will have to be burned to disc anyway.

Stupid piracy laws, it would be so easy to include a usb output. Or firewire for that matter. I can understand why the big brands don't do this, but why dont any of the smaller brands give it a go?

BuckRogers

Post by BuckRogers »

Hmmm has anyone tried to pull the hd out of a hd-recorder and read it out on a pc? You could burn the hq recording to dvd 'as is' if you like.

Theoretically...;)

zaniz

Post by zaniz »

dear stevey_k,

one thing is for shure, DV is the worst compression if you compare with DVD Mpeg2

Danger

Post by Danger »

no Zaniz the worst compression is to have a friend with a pen and some notebook drawing the video as you mix hehehe

DRNZ

Post by DRNZ »

If you have a mini DV cam, you can use the a/v input to record output from the audio and video mixer to miniDV tape....you may need some adapters eg 1/4" to RCA.....not the most eloquent solution, but a possibility.

DayVeeJay

Post by DayVeeJay »

I thought DV was completely uncompressed?

Here's a sweet little device:
http://www.mobiletechreview.com/mediapl ... -AV700.htm
Resolution is a little low but its pretty sweet none the less :)

dr-error

Post by dr-error »

Originally posted by stevey_k
Ideally, there should be a hd dvd recorder where I can just pull the recorded files off the hd with a usb connection - does not exist because of dumb piracy laws. If i'm wrong, PLEASE correct me!
Originally posted by BuckRogers
Hmmm has anyone tried to pull the hd out of a hd-recorder and read it out on a pc? You could burn the hq recording to dvd 'as is' if you like.

Theoretically...;)
I did this with a liteon and it works. Inside many folders i found mpeg files (no extention) split in 30 min recordings. The disk was FAT32 formated, i think most of them are...

You can get usb --> ide/sata devices in most computer stores, you won't even need to take out the HD out of the recorder.

advice, if possible, copy all files to your computer first before browsing the folders, otherwise you wil mess up the date and time of each file... your recorder will still read the files though.

do'! try it at home.

[Edited on 4-1-2008 by dr-error]