VibemasterBert
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: No TV-Out on the new MacBooks

Post by VibemasterBert »

majorglory
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by majorglory »

Yep. That is basically what I suggested: adapter to VGA -> scan converter to fbas/s-video. Maybe I go for one of these the poster in the apple forum bought. As he says the quality seems to be OK considering the price. Although I would have liked a "native" solution for this.

The good thing with the scan converters is: you might get a better signal quality (depending on how much you like to spend on the converter) than with the build in fbas/s-video outs of most notebooks. But do not expect the cheap scannies to do high quality stuff.

Cheers,

Florian

fongaboo

Post by fongaboo »

I ended up snagging one of the 1st-gen MacBook Pro's so I could still use Apple's DVI-to-Video adapter. It seems that displayPort is trash because it is also subject to all sorts of DRM restrictions. If you go this route, check the listings for refurbished Macs on the Apple Store site. If you don't care about Boot Camp, then get either the ATI or nVidia-based MacBook Pro's. But if you want to run the video adapter when booting in Windows, make sure you get the one with ATI Mobility Radeon x1600. The nVidia cards will do overscan in OSX but have an ugly black border in Windows. I tried all sorts of drivers and forceware before exchanging the nVidia MBP for an ATI one. I further had to run an app called 'Mobility Modder' and then install the unified ATI Catalyst driver from the ATI website before I could get it working right.

BTW my partner got the new MacBook Pro and tried the DP-to-DVI adapter chained to the DVI-to-Video adapter but it definitely does not work. It would seem miniDisplayPort simply does not have the pins for composite/S-Video.

Sendeschluss

Post by Sendeschluss »

Hi,

is that a fact with the black border at the NVidia MBP models ?
Im looking for a pre-owned MBP and prefer the 1st Gen. NVidia MBP (mid 2007) because it has already the LED Display, the faster GPU and the more economic Penryn CPU.

Who can confirm the problem with tv-out at the nvidia cards instead of the older ATI models ?

thanks !
Alex

vjloco
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by vjloco »

I don't know if this will work for the new MBP, but I use it on my PC and it allows me to split the VGA output so that I can project the video and record it at the same time. It has VGA in and outputs both VGA and S-video.

http://store.mediacraftlabs.com/products/MovieShow.html
Laptop: Intel Core 2cpu T7200 @2Ghz - 2Gig Ram
Operating system: Windows Vista Ultimate Sp1 X64
Video card: NVIDIA Gforce Go 7600

suzybee

Post by suzybee »

I just saw on the Apple website that there is an adapter available from apple to connect s-video and composite to a DVI port on the macbook pro etc.
(it was last updated april2008, and i guess you'd have to connect from the mini display port to DVI first)
Here's the link (hope it works): http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1762
Here's what it says:
Summary
The Apple DVI to Video Adapter was designed to allow Macs with a DVI port, such as the Power Mac G5, Mac mini, Mac Pro or MacBook Pro to connect the computer through the DVI port to S-Video or Composite video devices such as TVs, VCRs, or overhead projectors with S-Video or RCA (Composite) connectors.

Do you think this would be sufficient to be able to use the new Macbook pro?

Also, the graphics card in the new macbook pro is integrated, although it says you can have a second 'discrete' graphics processor in some 15 and 17 inch macbook pros.
Does that mean Resolume would run well on this new version of the Macbook pro?

Cheers, suzybee x

daxx

Post by daxx »

Hi,

check this link:

http://vjforums.com/showthread.php?p=237249#post237249

the whole macbook pro story is explained over there. You need a converter because the apple adapter wont work.

good luck :)

grtz

suzybee

Post by suzybee »

Thanks for that link, Daxx.
I can see now what I would need to use if I get a Macbook Pro.
It just seems so crazy they don't provide an s-video or composite out on the macbook, it's very offputting to think that i would have to have all these connectors to do something so basic.
I don't understand the logic!

Cheers, suzybee x