hardware interface for resolume

Bro, does your rig even lift?
bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

yes it has completely stopped for now, unfortunately the market is too small. But building one yourself is more fun then buying one anyway ;-)

juba
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by juba »

yes i'm building one myself :) but still not sure about the layout... at the moment i have more then 130 buttons... and a lot of sliders etc.

pxl
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by pxl »

aint it very hard, dificult to make your own midi controller?
i know a little bit about electronics in theory. but i wouldn't know how to use that in making a midi controller...

juba

Post by juba »

when you know a little, you might know enough... there are a few ways to build a controller. if you use a premade pcb (with al the parts on in) you only need to connect the buttons and sliders to the connectors. you can also make the electronic modules yourself (or buy the boards and connect the parts yourself) and so on. but you also have to make a suitable enclosure for your midi device, which might be a little difficult if you don't have te right tools...
but for example THIS is an simple premade module, it allows you to connect up to 16 sliders.
you can also buy a cheap second-hand midi keyboard and rewire it to you own buttons.
a little more complicated is the midibox project. it's a hardware platform for midi devices, you can make a controller as complex as u want by adding modules. you find it HERE

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

we used 2 doepfer ctm64 board and found it was really easy it just takes a couple of days and you need to think out a layout that you think is comfortable/easy.

zutim

Post by zutim »

since a few weeks we are talking about a midi board on http://www.vjforum.de but it is german language. i recognized that every vj has its own way of working, so there is no right way of the keyboard layout. i build my board in photoshop, push the layers and buttons around until it was right. then i printed it. and checked the distance between the knobs and sliders. my last one looks like this:
i used the CTM64 and the Pocket Elecctronics from http://www.doepfer.de
the jogdail is waiting for a connection in res....
:)
Attachments
controller.jpg
controller.jpg (138.94 KiB) Viewed 13976 times

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

at the moment i'm thinking of this layout... (going to use midibox pcb's).

or maby this... not sure about the 3x grid thing :)

a touchpad (i think) can be very handy... and maby a preview tft. i'm planning to use al square keys (with a cap you can take of to put in an other lable or something)

juba

Post by juba »

oops that was my post, forgot to log in :)

zutim

Post by zutim »

much fun to build my own laptop. its an Shuttle Barebone sb65g2
i will put the midi interface in an old army radio-box

tim :)

[Edited on 16-12-2004 by zutim]
Attachments
VJ-Rechner01.jpg
VJ-Rechner01.jpg (328.37 KiB) Viewed 13966 times

asbach

Post by asbach »

nice setup.

ne finally managed to get a controller professionally built. I can give you an update in the next few weeks. for now i can post a image to get the idea of it.

[Edited on 15-1-2005 by asbach]
uploading images unfortunately doesn't work
here's a link http://monster.netzteil.at/react_sm.jpg

[Edited on 15-1-2005 by asbach]