AverMedia Capture HD

Bro, does your rig even lift?
pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: AverMedia Capture HD

Post by pfelberg »

Have anyone ever tested Avermedia ExtremeCap U3?
I am thinking on buying one but need some Resolume feedback.

tks

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Okay AverMedia ExtremeCap U3 is here! Wow 60fps capture device... let´s give it a try.
Here goes first impressions...

Install was simply enough and I had no problem, at first, to make it available at Resolume´s input sources.
Just had to deinterlace source and image quality was great.
My composition is set to 1920x1080, the same as the devices' settings.
Still, Resolume doesn´t seem to feel that way. Resolume understands the input as a 640x480 only and displays just the upper right portion of the full 1920x1080 image, as the full image was windowed in a 640x480 square.
Scaling and zooming the content inside Arena makes no difference.
I don´t know what I may be missing, if there´s anything to be done.

Any comment is appreciated.

Thanks!
Paulo

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Please, read the last couple of messages above to get the whole picture.

So I tested it as stand alone capture/recording device, outside Resolume environment. It works perfectly. Full image!
There´s no doubt this is an issue on the Resolume side.

Joris, any chances of a solution any time soon?

tks

Paulo

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Datapath support is coming, but support for Avermedia cards is not on our roadmap right now.

If you like, you can send us the card so we can take a look at the possibilities. We'll be happy to take care of the shipping costs.

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

I decided to buy the Avermedia device because of this...
Joris wrote:We're giving capture via DirectShow (which AverMedia uses) another look, hopefully that will solve weird situations like the comp size affecting the capture resolution.

Also we'll be taking a look at direct support for popular cards like Datapath and Avermedia.
And now you tell me that Avermedia is not in your roadmap? : (
OUCH... that one hurt.

dradutu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dradutu »

Joris wrote:If you like, you can send us the card so we can take a look at the possibilities. We'll be happy to take care of the shipping costs.
i'll be happy to send you mine in that case

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The story with Avermedia has always been that it's been on our radar. This is why I said that "we'll be taking a look" at direct support. I didn't say we would implement anything, just take a look.

Now we have taken a look, and we won't be doing direct support for Avermedia. In the past 6 months alone, we've had requests to support capture cards for Avermedia, Magewell, Datapath, AJA and Active Silicon, plus a whole bunch of Chinese OEM boxes. There's not enough time in the day to make and maintain all of these, so we have to make tough decisions. We simply can't support everything and we have to draw the line somewhere. Avermedia just falls on the wrong side of that line.

I'm very sorry for any confusion or bitterness this may have caused, especially to Pfelberg.

There is a bit of hope. We will also be looking at our implementation of Direct-X capture again. There is a chance that when we do that, capture of Avermedia *via Direct X* will work better. It will never be as fast and easy as Blackmagic, but it might stop the problem with the incorrect resolutions. Again, these are not promises, nor is it set in stone when we do this. Just letting you know how things stand and how things could possibly develop.

mister mishka
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by mister mishka »

I use Avermedia LGP and use a workaround using AmaRecTV software as a source in Resolume to display the live feed capture from my Avermedia device. You can download AmaRecTV for free here:

http://www.amarectv.com/english/amarectv_e.htm

It may be a little confusing given that it is Japanese, but it does work quite well (once you know how to set it up).

Downtown
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Downtown »

Hey guys, just wanted to give a review of the AverMedia DarkCrystal HD, which is a PCIe gaming capture card and very moderately priced: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002S ... UTF8&psc=1
I know AverMedia stuff works ok with Resolume since it uses DirectShow so I went ahead and gave this one a shot for an install on a club rig. They don't have a super high res setup so 1080p was going to be more than enough, and they have the signal converting to component to hit all the bar TVs. You have to set the resolution of the composition before adding it, because the source will be stuck at that resolution. In the case for this composition, 720p worked fine. Low latency, clean signal, easy setup and install.
https://www.avermedia.com/tv_more/produ ... apture_pro

Joris

Post by Joris »

You have to set the resolution of the composition before adding it,
Is this on Resolume 6?