Matrox dual/triple head: which card model exactly?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
mandawah
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Matrox dual/triple head: which card model exactly?

Post by mandawah »

Hi everyone,

There are several posts around mentioning "Matrox dual/triple head" as a good solution for multi-monitor output with R3.

I'll like to by some hardware to do this, but I did not find a post where someone actually specified the exact model of a the card he is successfully using.

Looking at matrox.com, there are several dual/triple (or more) capable cards (apart from the "2 Go" models) like M- or P- series, or others.

Could someone recommend a model number to me?

Thank you very much in advance!

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: Matrox dual/triple head: which card model exactly?

Post by cosmowe »

Hi mandawah,

I am using a matrox triplehead2go digital with Resolume Avenue. Till now with very good results and without any problems.

http://www.amazon.de/Matrox-TripleHead2 ... B000RMQZ96

The idea of the 2Go series is that u can choose your own high-performance graficcard ...and "upgrade" it with the 2Go product.

I googeled the M- and the P- series from matrox....hmm..it looks like that they are "full" graficcards with multi-display feature integrated...I don't think that they are fast enough to reach a good performance in games or resolume. Actually they are suitable for broker- and for standard convention- applications. (Playing Video, displaying charts..and stuff like that)

soooo....have fun with the 2go series ;)

Best regards
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

mandawah

Post by mandawah »

Hi Cosmowe,

thanks for you reply, sounds good!

I thought that the 2Go products where quite new, and so I assumed that some old "dual head" references in this forum were about other cards.

Since I don't need the portability of the 2Go (I can use a huge desktop computer instead of a laptop) I did not consider the 2Go in the first place.

But that seems to be something working well, I am almost decided!

May I ask you how you use it? Do you have to set up your main graphic card to something like 2400x600 in order to have 3 times 800x600 at the outputs of the triplehead2go?

I am just wondering how it works in reality, since not that many standard resolutions are multiple of 3..

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Thats quite easy to setup the 2go.

Plug a dual-Link DVI cable and a usb cable into the matrox box... plug one, two or three displays into it.
What the 2go does is it simulates a very large display to your graficcard. The 2go comes with a special driver to manage this.

Yes right...if u like to have 3 outs with 800x600px each u have to set the resolution to 2400x600 inside of the matrox software. please consider that the 2go does not do the work of a dvi splitter...it just extend your workspace.

U can download a checktool from matrox...if u would like to know if your system is compatible with the product. http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/suppo ... /gxm/home/

Here is a table of all resolutions wich are supported by the 2go's
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/produ ... tions.html

Have Fun!
cosmowe

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

And just to have mentioned it: with regular ATI cards (5000/6000 series) your output is limited to 3 x 1280x1024 whereas nVidia cards (100/200 series) support a maximum resolution of 3 x 1920x1080. The complete list can be studied here: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/suppo ... solutions/
of course such resolutions hardly make sense these days and Resolume/OpenGL has a maximum output resolution of 4096x4096 at the moment. Bt I think there was some gossip on higher output in Ave 4 :D
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

mandawah

Post by mandawah »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for those valuable details!

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

@Tschoepler >> 8-) 8-) 8-)

Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Tschoepler »

Did I miss something? Anyone? Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller? 8-)
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████