New Midi Controller

Bro, does your rig even lift?
digitalsnot_

Post by digitalsnot_ »

I added 2 new midi-controllers to my setup.
The problem with midi controllers I find is there are never enough of everything in a single unit. Plus they all look ... ehhh.... "musiciany"
I think behringer has remedied this with some inexpensive kit.
Check them out here:
http://www.behringer.com/BCF2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

http://www.behringer.com/BCR2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I have been to busy to really get the full usage of them together with resolume but they are very well designed...
feature a TON of control.
(I have the BCF2000 for main control operations and the BCR2000 for effects adjusting.)

the BCF2000 has some great vj treats.
-8 faders
-8 rotary knobs (infinitely spin-able)
-these knobs can be pressed so that works as 8 buttons
there are 20 additional buttons on the unit that can send midi data.
a TON of control here.

I am switching totally from my Evolution UC33 and Oxygen 8

some other "less important" features.
- it looks cool
not an embarrassment to have at a gig.
the knobs have led rings around them that look sweet. and the 20 buttons have leds in them that light up when pushed.

the only negative so far on the BCF2000 is the travel of the faders. there is a lot of space to move them... about 4 inches. it takes some getting use to, but it is VERY accurate.... I was impressed with how accurate it was in doing a slow dissolve transition... it felt as smooth and accurate as my Edirol v4 fader

in tandem with the BCR2000 I think this could become the most valuable midi control piece of kit.
also... don't ask about the motorized faders... I can't get them to be of any use yet. ; )

seex
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by seex »

Im using the bcf 2000 with resolume and its realy great, a lot of options and if you get into the midi edit mode you can realy fine tune the comtrolers for any type of scrathing. I to have a problem with motorized faders, i guess this function wuld come more handy if resolume was sending a midi out, but i wuld not urge anyone to buy a diferent midi for resolume. An issue im solving now is how to assign more than one fader to control the active layer playhead, if i set all the faders to the same chanell than they all give out tha same midi signal, but they also move at the same time since they got the motors moving them i can also assign all the rotators to issue the same midi signal, but scratching with those is not the same. Any ideas? I wuld also like to make a series of movements (parameter changes) record them and than play them issuing signals to resolume, I dont know if this is possible only with resolume and the bcf 2000. Any ideas?

pxl

Post by pxl »

how much did you pay for BCF2000? i'm thinking about buying one.
on http://www.vjforums.com they also say it's a very good midi controller for vj's

seex

Post by seex »

About 270 eur... sliders and knobs are realy handy for making fine adjustments, you realy cant adjust things so fine with a mouse. With the scroler on the mouse the parameters in resolume where changing by 7, now they go by 1 realy easy, besides you can only move one thing at a time with a mouse....

pxl

Post by pxl »

i got myself the BCF2000 today!!! it's my first midi controller, so i think it'll take some time to learn how to work with it.
i'll tell you what i think of it later

i'll look into the motorised faders. anyone got em working allready?

[Edited on 16-10-2004 by pxl]

[Edited on 16-10-2004 by pxl]

ashitaka
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

behringer bcf 2000

Post by ashitaka »

hey !

i bought a bcf 2000 last week, and it's doing a great job! first of all i downloaded some software at the behringer webpage that makes it easy to configure the setting via usb. i configured all the faders and rotaries as control change, all the buttons as note signals. then i prepared 5 pre-set layers, everyone with a different channel numer, from 1-5, to control even more functions. so i got 5 times more buttons, faders, options to assign a command to. you can set up a maximum of 32 pre-sets, that are e.g. 256 faders max. no one needs that really, but this contoller has incredible possibilities. the faders are all motorized, a nice feature, very helpful when you switch the pre-sets, switch back and the jump back at the previous position. unfortunately resolume does not support midi out yet, if it would, all changes you do with your mouse would be send to the midi controller as well, e.g. if you would move a fader on the screen with your mouse the faders would also move. thats a feature i would ask to realize with the next resolume version. it would be great! that would add up to the perfect combination of midi, mouse and keyboard.
greets, ashitaka.

elektroschroeder
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by elektroschroeder »

when I saw them first advertised I thought: damn, that would be a good choice with resolume.
I bought the bcr for 170 euro and now the bcf for 229 eus and they go together well. really TONS of options and this software console for configuring is a relief.
(time to get some sponsorship from behringer for all the horrays? nope, its just a plain good piece of gear)

seex

Post by seex »

So you have both of them now, thats great. The bcr was big enough for two vjs working at the same time, tree hands video scratching.

pifco
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by pifco »

Had a BCF2000 for about a month. Almost perfect controller for me. Really robust (survived going in the band trailer for 20 gigs) good size, everything editable.
Just wish it had a few more buttons that's all.

Any chance of a link to that software for USB editing?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Can someone tell me something about scratching videos with bcf 2000? Is it works good? I heard that it very often goes out of sync. Is it true? How mutch is the latency?