Dedicated VJ Box

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Trunx_

Post by Trunx_ »

Yello peeps, we here at Phluid are in the process of developing a dedicated VJ box with Resolume at the heart of it. This thread is intended for suggestions towards what you guys would ideally have in your ultimate VJ hardware package so post away and we'll let you all know what suggestions will meet consideration. Bart & Edwin, please feel free to make suggestions too as this system is going to be purely dedicated to Resolume. BTW we are looking into physichal control solutions too so let us know what the progress on your USB controller is, (maybe let us beta test it? :) Happy posting!

levon_

Post by levon_ »

i would go for an:
athlon 3200XP+ 2gig of RAM
not too up todate with current 3d cards and motherboards but i would get 2 pci express cards so i can have 4 seperate out puts from resolume.
few SATA hard drives raided.
seperate firewire card
seperate soundcard

probably other stuff.

Trunx_

Post by Trunx_ »

Cool, we were thinking of an Athlon 64 to power it... any opinions on whether it's worth using that or whether it would be just as good to use a standard chip i.e the 3200XP. Cost is quite important really as we'd like to keep the final product's price down. Plus, does anyone have suggestions for a particular motherboard and chipset that may be ideal for this application, we're looking at an N-Force 3 chipset but like i say cost is an issue.

levon_

Post by levon_ »

oh yeah i forgot about teh 64 bit processors. been out of teh loop for a while.

try http://arstechnica.com/guide/system/index.html they have 3 computers built, updated monthly i think.

The God Box
The Hot Rod
The Budget Box

guess either the god or hot rod would do you with a few changes.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

we have tested resolume on the athlon 64 processors but because there is no 64 bit optimizations in resolume you do not get a speed improvement. so what gets resolume going now is mhz's ;-) the more the better ... so an intel 3.4 will do best. No need for 2 gig of ram either because resolume doed not require that much. a raid0 of 2 sata 10.000 rpm drives will also help a lot!

Trunx
Is taking Resolume on a second date

How \'bout these?

Post by Trunx »

[font=Arial]Text[/font] Yello, just wondering what you thought of this set up. Athlon 64 3000+ on an ASUS K8N-E Deluxe Nforce3 motherboard, 2x 256MB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 RAM, 2x Western Digital 10,000 RPM SATA Raptors in Raid 0, Matrox g4+\Quad-P2\TVE Graphic Card, 4 Channel cctv PCI DVR Video Capture Card.

jmode
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by jmode »

yeah, all nice.

but didn't somebody say something about high costs?
a P4 processor, okay - but the fastest is not necessary. a raid system, right. but 10.000 rpm drives - no. good 7200 drives are perfect. 1gig ram is more than enough.
install a CLEAN system and don't install any firewall, antivirus and stupid stuff that has nothing to do on a machine made for video performances. go with win2000, it is faster and needs less performance than XP.

add a midi controller to that bundle. a midiman oxygen 8 or an evolution uc-33e.

and why not building that machine into a 19" rack? i did that and everything fits into it. 15" tft, videomixer, midi controller, everything in one solid box.
:)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

thing I care about most is quality, so smooth mixing with a resolution of at least 640x480

ps. Ik ben 1 van de laatste VIA studenten volgens mij :D

Sense
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Sense »

If cost-control is key, you should start by mentioning a budget I quess ;) I would go intel, got a feeling AMD is heating up to fast with the 100% processor usage.

[off topic Bart / Edwin]
If resolume is not taking up that much memory, why aren't clips loaded to it? wouldn't that be a performance boost? Or is clip loading to memory a tricky issue? Perhaps 2 decks for memory loading? or configable? Make those pink in the interface, hehe. Problem with ramdrives is, you have to place the files on it, before bootin'up resolume! and that is ofcourse, a no go.
[/off topic]

We also thought about making a dedicated vj-box, but considering transport, weight, modularity, it didn't work for us. We can now hit downtown amsterdam with our bikes! If it is ment for a recidency it would be an option. Cause if you are a mobile vj and end up in so much different locations, you will run into trouble , cause your casing is just to big. Ah well, gimme some feedback on where and what you are planning to do with it, I still find it a nice persuit!

Greetz,
nz|Sense
http://www.friendsofsense.com

EDIT:
Just noticed this thread is rather old, how are thing coming, any pics? =D

[Edited on 21-11-2004 by Sense]