Laptop performance?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
123thedude
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Laptop performance?

Post by 123thedude »

Hello everyone.

I've done quite a bit of research now on laptops suitable for VJing, and as a resolume use I now have a few questions.

1. Att the resolume crew:
You write on the support page
"we develop Resolume 3 on MacBooks Pro and they are excellent laptops for Resolume 3"
but then you claim:
"We use ATI/AMD GPUs mostly because with the excellent Omega drivers you get easy access to options like overscan and PAL/NTSC output resolutions on the TV-Out."
I've discovered that the omega drivers isn't made for macbooks, and I've read that macs come with one GPU driver that never get's an update and therefore performancewise doesn't get the most out of the GPU's. If that's true, then why recommend macbooks and hail the omega drivers - it's confusing! Ocf I realize that those recommendations are old since you in the same paragraph are recommending OSX over Vista - but does that recommendation extend to windows 7 ?

2. I've read several places that resolume (3) only adresses one core of the CPU, does that then mean that any single core processor with the same Mhz as a dual, quad, i5, i7 (i5 / i7 - does it really make a difference?) will perform equal to any new processor? If so, wouldn't it be more sensible to buy an older laptop with a dualcore and upgrade the harddrives to SSD and (if possible) the graphics, rather than spending precious ressources on a trillioncore laptop that performs just as good? What am I missing here, it can't be that simple can it? I'm especially considering this with regards to a macbook pro option, since older used dualcore macs are pretty cheap.

3. The MAC / PC dilemma
I've VJayed a couple of times using my iMac 21" with 8gb ram and 256gb graphics and a 3,06 intel dual core CPU, it was ok untill I started to get too creative with flash and more than 2 layers, then the framerate went under 20. - I really enjoy the capabilities of Quartz Composer, and I'm still learning alot about it. This is probably the main reason why I would stick to mac - other than that, the future of thunderbolt is promising (Lacie HD on the way + who knows?) and atm. macs are the only machines with this configuration (Sony VAIO is next). Also I've toyed around with madmapper, modul8 and VDMX demos, those too are nice pieces of software that I can imagine using in the future. But spec and pricewise, macs are awfully expensive and have limited upgrading options which are a nagging concern to the stingy utilitarian in me.

Say i get the newest macbook pro 17¨with the best specs available from mac: 2,4 i7, 8gb RAM, SSD harddrive and ofc the Radeon HD 6770M - What sort of limitations could i possibly experience? Where does such a config draw the line and start to crap out on me? example: 3D mapping setup with 3 layers of +/- 1920x1080 clips, quartzComposerfiles and audioreactive effects from line-in - would that be possible? What if I plugged in a triplehead with three projectors, what would happen then? I'd like to hear what your experiences are, with regards to how far you can take the hardware.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: Laptop performance?

Post by cosmowe »

2. I've read several places that resolume (3) only adresses one core of the CPU, does that then mean that any single core processor with the same Mhz as a dual, quad, i5, i7 (i5 / i7 - does it really make a difference?) will perform equal to any new processor? If so, wouldn't it be more sensible to buy an older laptop with a dualcore and upgrade the harddrives to SSD and (if possible) the graphics, rather than spending precious ressources on a trillioncore laptop that performs just as good? What am I missing here, it can't be that simple can it? I'm especially considering this with regards to a macbook pro option, since older used dualcore macs are pretty cheap.
.... when I'm using R4 with a hand full of HD Layers my CPU never reaches 25% usage. So...I would say yes with a big BUT:
Tell us about your success building a computer with an intel Pentium IV 2500MHz and a grafic card which you can use with Resolume ;) But yes...I know what you mean! I think it won't work that good because of the hardware architecture which is within an older laptop with a dualcore.
My advice, take a i7 CPU. Maybe Resolume don't use all the power of it but most of the other software on your laptop takes advantage of it.....even when you are Vjing = more cpu reserves for Resolume.

i5 i7 any difference? Not much, but yes there is! You will notice the difference when you are going to render or editing video.

3. The MAC / PC dilemma
3. The MAC / PC dilemma
I've VJayed a couple of times using my iMac 21" with 8gb ram and 256gb graphics and a 3,06 intel dual core CPU, it was ok untill I started to get too creative with flash and more than 2 layers, then the framerate went under 20. - I really enjoy the capabilities of Quartz Composer, and I'm still learning alot about it. This is probably the main reason why I would stick to mac - other than that, the future of thunderbolt is promising (Lacie HD on the way + who knows?) and atm. macs are the only machines with this configuration (Sony VAIO is next). Also I've toyed around with madmapper, modul8 and VDMX demos, those too are nice pieces of software that I can imagine using in the future. But spec and pricewise, macs are awfully expensive and have limited upgrading options which are a nagging concern to the stingy utilitarian in me.

Say i get the newest macbook pro 17¨with the best specs available from mac: 2,4 i7, 8gb RAM, SSD harddrive and ofc the Radeon HD 6770M - What sort of limitations could i possibly experience? Where does such a config draw the line and start to crap out on me? example: 3D mapping setup with 3 layers of +/- 1920x1080 clips, quartzComposerfiles and audioreactive effects from line-in - would that be possible? What if I plugged in a triplehead with three projectors, what would happen then? I'd like to hear what your experiences are, with regards to how far you can take the hardware.
thunderbolt and Quartz Composer. hmm.. its your choice if you wanna deal with the high apple prices!
I cannot say much to Macbooks....never used one for Vjing. *I'm sorry*

I searched for the newest Macbook...and I've seen a price round a bound 4000€.
Now you take these 4000€ and build your notebook with these guys: (Dell Alienware or Schenker Notebooks XMG). Invest your money and you will get much more performance and more ventilation than a macbook can give you for the same price.
I've made a lot of research the last month to find a powerfull new notebook for my job..and 4000€ is the max. price for me too.... my decision: I'll wait for the next generation of the alienware m18x...
It could be that they will have thunderbolt... and by the way...the m18x + 6990M has three grafic outputs which you can use at the same time.

I hope that I could help you a little bit

Greetz
cosmowe
Last edited by cosmowe on Mon Feb 27, 2012 02:06, edited 1 time in total.
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

fruitygreen
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Macs are PC's too.

Post by fruitygreen »

thunderbolt and Quartz Composer. hmm..
Don't forget syphon
its your choice if you wanna deal with the high apple prices!
I have successfully hackintoshed both a Workstation and a Laptop containg the i7 chip.

IMO: Macs are pc's with a different OS , overpriced components, and overrated reputation.

There are indeed differences , but none that is overwhelmingly relevant to the way Resolume functions.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I've read several places that resolume (3) only adresses one core of the CPU,
This is in fact untrue. Resolume is as multithreaded as possible. However, CPU usage is most of the time not the bottleneck factor, since the GPU does the heavy lifting.
Ocf I realize that those recommendations are old
Yes, that page is in need for an overhaul.

123thedude
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by 123thedude »

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to know that resolume adresses more than one core :)
I've looked further at a lot of PC laptops, and I'm considering bying a used one. Currently I've spotted two machines at approx. the same prize.

1. Alienware m81x with 8gb ram, i7 2720Q 2,2, dual 2gb Radeon 6970m in crossfire and two momentus XT solid state hybrid drives (512)

2. Lenovo w701 with 16gb ram, i7 920XM 2,0, Quadro FX 3800M and two 320 gb 7200 HDD

I'm not sure which one would perform the best, I take in account that the alienware has hybriddrives and 4gb VRAM, but i have no idea if that will outperform the quadro in resolume? Also the hybriddrives are an advantage.
These are some seriously high end machines and even used, it's alot of cash - i could get a top configured iMac 27" WITH a flightcase for the same prize - I'm not sure if it's over the edge cause I'm never going to be gaming or rendering 3d, therefore I'm also considering some smaller machines like ASUS G74sx or Samsung series 7 700G7A - I see that both the alienware and the lenovo has two display outputs, but I'm not i'll be using that, I've used triplehead before and it seems more likely I will use that again.

Again:
I'd like to hear what your experiences are, with regards to how far you can take the hardware.
I've read countless reviews about different machines and graphic card's benchmarks in games and such, but is performance in games comparable to vj use? The thing is, if you tell me that less is enough, i could be pursuaded to to buy a more modest machine that i might even use in my daily routines. Right now I only have VJ experience with my iMac 21" with 8gb ram, 3,06 core 2 duo and a 265mb graphiccard, so even a 1gb graphiccard which is found in many mid sized laptops can easily outperform my iMac.

twitchdoktor
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by twitchdoktor »

I don't know how much it will influence your decision, but at my last check (Res team or anyone, please jump in here if I'm off base) Resolume is not able to take advantage of Crossfire. That MX18 is still a hot piece of lappy though.

Stickygreen

Post by Stickygreen »

thats correct, if the computer your using has 2 GPU's, Resolume will only use 1 GPU, you can however have more video cards, with more outputs and have an extended display this way, but the program of Resolume will only use the main video card

olivepixel

Post by olivepixel »

123thedude wrote: 1. Alienware m81x with 8gb ram, i7 2720Q 2,2, dual 2gb Radeon 6970m in crossfire and two momentus XT solid state hybrid drives (512)

2. Lenovo w701 with 16gb ram, i7 920XM 2,0, Quadro FX 3800M and two 320 gb 7200 HDD
Just to say I use the w701 and I’m very happy with it so far. Really great screen, feels sturdy and doesn’t seem to get hot. I’ve got two SSDs (one for OS/programs, the other for clips) and a 500GB 7200 HDD (which is hellishly slow compared) but no DVD drive so need to use an external drive to rip stuff.

Good bunch of connectors, including VGA & DVI with screws (something laptops seem to be dropping all the time now), 5 USB ports one being USB 3.

The Quadro makes a big difference in programs that support it (really handy for 3D rendering stuff) but as far as I know doesn’t help Resolume at all.

The obvious downside is its size – too big and too heavy!