Output via capture cards not supported at this time

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Output via capture cards not supported at this time

Post by Joris »

So, 3 years after posting this sticky, we can finally unsticky it! Output via Blackmagic devices is supported on Res Arena 5! Yay.

Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 10.55.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2012-06-08 at 10.55.33 AM.png (179.15 KiB) Viewed 40261 times
At the moment, Resolume does *not* support sending an *output* directly via I/O devices from BlackMagic, AJA, Matrox and others.

This is especially important for devices that have a Thunderbolt interface. On many new laptops, the Thunderbolt port is also used to connect to a secondary display. This means that by connecting the capture device, you will *not* be able to output to a secondary display! Even devices that create a secondary output when connected will not work with Resolume, because at this time they do not support OpenGL rendering.

Note that sending an output *to* a capture device via a normal video connection (digital or analog) works fine, as long as your device is able to recognize the computer as a valid input source. This sticky only refers to using the capture card directly as an output device.
Last edited by Joris on Tue Oct 13, 2015 08:48, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: edited in response to comments below

Thelooca
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Output via capture cards not supported at this time

Post by Thelooca »

Any experiences with aja ioxt (has 2 thunderboltports!) someone?

aestheticcataclysm
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by aestheticcataclysm »

Can you clarify a bit? Say that I would like to use the HDMI/VGA/DVI output from the back of whatever desktop or laptop we are using Arena or Resolume on going to the input of a Black Magic or similar capture device and that capture device's USB output on another computer that is running a program that will accept a live feed like Touch Designer, from there going to what ever outputs I choose from machine two's video card. Will this work or not?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Good point, I've updated the text.

In your specific user case you are using the secondary output of a laptop/desktop, and not outputting via the capture card directly. As long as the capture device recognizes the computer's output, you'll be fine.

disconappete

Post by disconappete »

I want to get live video in my visuals mix, with realtime effects and all that. I understand that the black magic cant be used as a primary video output since it is not a graphics card but a capture card. but what do I need to do this on a basic SD level. HD would be nice but most of the projectors i use arent full HD anyways

daxx

Post by daxx »

Joris,
I'm planning to buy 2 Black Magic Intensity shuttles (Thunderbolt).
So I can't use them to output my video signal (hdmi, composite,...) or am I wrong?

NLS6XX
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by NLS6XX »

I was wondering how the deal was with the Retina Macbook Pro?

Can you use a Thunderbolt capture card (i.e. Blackmagic Intensity) for the input and use the second Thunderbolt port for output with a minidisplayport to VGA/DVI converter (i.e. the ones that Apple sells)? Or use the HDMI output?

I'm using Avenue (not Arena) if that makes any difference...

Greetz,
Nils

Joris

Post by Joris »

The retina MacBookPro with two Thunderbolt ports has two Thunderbolt ports. So you can use one for capture and one for output, no problem. You can also still use the HDMI output.

NLS6XX
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by NLS6XX »

Good to know! Thanks!

Vjcheshire

Post by Vjcheshire »

Maybe this is covered in another thread, but what would be the best (optimal and/or cost effective) way to capture your performance live to play back later (sd or hd). Especially mobile gigs without a full desktop/tower???