New Feature Wish List...

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

New Feature Wish List...

Post by DayVeeJay »

1. Adding a Zoom/Pan for the advanced output would make it easier to adjust complicated mappings
2. An option to apply a crop to just a slice instead of the entire screen output
3. My preview window ends up tiny if I adjust the layout to give the decks more screen space. I believe this only happens if I use a monitor that's less than 1080.
4. This is an idea that may or may not be so good from a development standpoint... It'd pretty cool to be able to "compress" multiple clips including the effects into one "compressed clip". Essentially nesting clips within clips. I have a generative, audio responsive deck that has many more layers than I usually use. Right now I have to rearrange the entire comp if I want to use that deck. In addition it might be nice to be able to export a "compressed clip" into a zip file which contains the video clips and all the settings in XML format. This would allow people to trade or transfer them between computers with ease.
5. Auto search function for missing clips... Automatically search my drive for a missing clip and only prompt if more than one file with the same name is found. Sony Vegas’ missing clip search is a good example. The ability to limit searches to a specific directory/drive would speed things up.
6. A decent batch converter would be really nice. I’ve managed to crash all of the common 3rd party apps when converting my 100gig library. Most don’t preserve file structure either. Livid Union’s app has been the best so far, however, I’m willing to pay something that’s better.

Comments, concerns and criticism are encouraged.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: New Feature Wish List...

Post by Joris »

1 to 3 are confirmed requests and firmly on our to-do list.

4. Yeah, this would be very nice, but very far from our core functionality. We love the generative stuff people are doing with Resolume, but we prefer to focus on improvements in stability and smooth playback for now.

5. Hmmm, that's not too bad, we'll discuss it in the office.

6. Our own batch converter would indeed be nice, but I doubt we can beat the big players in stability and functionality though. Our current idea for this is to implement an auto convert option that runs in the background when a non-DXV or non-supported codec is detected during import. What do you think about that?

alfrede
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by alfrede »

Hi Guys, whats about a feature that allows to select an Directory to add the files in this. It would be cool because you don´t need to select every Video in the layer and so on. It would be faster then when you manually do this.

Funk-tion Media
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Funk-tion Media »

"6. Our own batch converter would indeed be nice, but I doubt we can beat the big players in stability and functionality though. Our current idea for this is to implement an auto convert option that runs in the background when a non-DXV or non-supported codec is detected during import. What do you think about that?"

This is what I understand another major media server software is currently implementing as well. Imported content is converted to the standard of the media server. I haven't seen exact implementation yet.

This is a fantastic idea in my opinion. It allows lighting directors and designers who don't know much about codec's to playback video smoothly. Sure the results might not always be "optimal" but if it works correctly they will have a much better overall experience with Resolume. Smooth playback needs to be easier to achieve and more consistent with Resolume Arena and this would be a step in that direction.

projectneptune
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by projectneptune »

To this wishlist I would like to add... better audio routing capabilities. :) It would be great to be able to send the audio from each individual clip to any physical or virtual audio output (i.e. 64ch soundflower, MOTU, or an RME Fireface)

I know I have posted about this before, but I haven't had any replies about its possibility.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
mx

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

Joris,
I think that this would be a fantastic idea. I'm hesitant to install Resolume for some installations where the venue will be changing things on the server. Can we have the converter run in a separate process in case it crashes on a bad video file? I can't say I've ever had a video converter that was 100% stable.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

I've found using Adobe Media converter with a watch folder is the best for clubs with management wanting to handle things. Put everything into this desktop folder, then find the new file on the ssd drive.

I'll feel bad for the resolume team when the forums are awash in people complaining about every random codec that messes things up. Even well established players like adobe and sorenson have people bitching up storms. Would be super nice, but can understand that not being a high priority when people may eventually say, just use something else when using x,y or z.

Also sometimes i can't use DXV because gradients look rubbish. So being able to turn that program encoding off so I can use pro res would be a must.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Also sometimes i can't use DXV because gradients look rubbish
This is something that we much rather spend our time on, and we have. Stay tuned ;)

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Joris wrote:
Also sometimes i can't use DXV because gradients look rubbish
This is something that we much rather spend our time on, and we have. Stay tuned ;)

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by ReggieUnderground »

Since 4.1.9, DXV clips are listed as "DXV 2.2 Normal Quality" ;)