Spout - Sharing Video between Applications on Windows

Stay up to date with important updates, artist showcases and more
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Spout - Sharing Video between Applications on Windows

Post by Joris »

Do you like stringing apps together like they are sneakers? Do you like the wonderful Syphon framework, but don’t have a Mac?

Then rejoice. Thanks to the efforts of Lynn and Robert Jarvis, there is now an easy way of doing exactly that.

It's called Spout.
phpBB [video]

For Resolume users, the system works by installing two FFGL plugins and a utility app. You can then play the output of any Spout enabled application like a camera in Resolume. This means you can use all the effects in Resolume on your generative visuals made in Processing or VVVV. You can also map your projection easily, without having to write your own projection mapping tool while you're at it.

The other way also works. You can apply the Spout effect anywhere in Resolume to send the output to another Spout Receiver.

The real beauty of the framework is that its well documented and easy to use. Setting up takes less than a minute. Using it is a matter of filling out the correct sender and receiver names. This really makes Spout worth its weight in gold ( “But it’s software, so it really doesn’t really weigh anything. That analogy doesn’t make any sense.” “Shut up inner voice! I do what I want! ”)

Supported apps include Processing, VVVV, Jitter and VIZZable. Example code is available for openFrameworks and Cinder. Support in Isadora and Touch Designer is rumoured to be on the way.

Head over to http://spout.zeal.co/ to read more, ask questions on their forum and of course download. But not before you’ve pressed that Donate button, because quality work like this deserves your support.

Now let's make some awesome things happen.

gregsully
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Spout - Sharing Video between Applications on Windows

Post by gregsully »

GIMMEEEEE TouchDesigner Spout!!!!!!

dradutu
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dradutu »

about time!

craftycurate
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by craftycurate »

Yeeehaw!

UPDATE: Works perfectly in Avenue 4.1.7 but not in 4.1.8 using identical installation and workflow. Have alerted the Spout guys to this, but wonder if anything changed in 4.1.8 that might stop the SpoutPanel popup appearing when clicking SelectSender in 4.1.8?
Win7 x64 Pro | 8GB | Nvidia Go 650M/2GB

kiki
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by kiki »

The same happens to me in Arena 4.1.8 :(

zeal

Post by zeal »

Just a note to anyone playing with this and not seeing the sender selection dialog box pop up - The spout receiver clip needs to be selected in order for the pop up to appear (notice in the video above I select the cell before clicking select sender). Tested and working on 4.1.8! Have fun!

nosuchtim

Post by nosuchtim »

Bravo!! What a wonderful gift. Thank you!!

...Tim...

manuelgazzo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by manuelgazzo »

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate »

I had it working in 4.1.8 but it's gone again, and have tried selecting the Spout clip and also launching it, but can't get it working. So clearly there's a way of doing it that works and a way that doesn't and I haven't found the difference yet.

I tried launching SpoutPanel.exe manually from the Avenue folder and it picks up the Spout Demo Sender OK, but for some reason, Avenue 4.1.8 is not always able to launch the Panel from the Select Sender button.

UPDATE: Working again ... If I type the sender name into the "Sender Name" box in Avenue, then launch the Spout clip, Avenue is able to make the connection, and the Spout Demo output appears in Avenue. From then on, the Spout Panel appears when clicking "Select Sender" so maybe there's a variable that isn't getting initialised or something? My gut says it's something to do with the clip needing to be selected but that might be way off.
Last edited by craftycurate on Wed May 07, 2014 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

craftycurate

Post by craftycurate »

Also to say it works beautifully - no glitches, crashes etc so far and a nice smooth 60fps all the way. Just the small matter of the SelectSender popup sometimes not appearing, but the important part (sharing video) seems to work smoothly.

Spout Sender (i.e. sending Resolume output to Spout) works beautifully too - smooth, no lag. Nice work!