Urgent: Please Advice to Projection

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Urgent: Please Advice to Projection

Post by pfelberg »

I am doing this today...
I need to project on this mirrors (painted in blue).
mirrors.jpg
Actually they will be covered with a white adesive coating.

I only have one computer, two projectors, both with Wide Angle lenses (for the worst) and one analog triple head
My problem is the final resolution!

Each projector will be used for "one mirror leg". Imagine a Wide Lens image projected there. The loss of vertical pixels is HUGE. If I had 2048 pixels wide, I´d get only usefull 78 pixels in height.
To make it worst, as the analog tripple head has no software compatible with the mac, my max resolution is 800x600 pixels for each projector. That will drop my vertical resolutio to +- 60 pixels.

Yes, the content is very abstract but I wish I could make some scrolling texts as well.
Any advice on how to better set this up is very, very welcome.

tks

Paulo

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Urgent: Please Advice to Projection

Post by Oaktown »

Nothing much that can be done about the pixel loss but you should be able to use your triple head on the Mac and choose 2048x768. I have the Matrox PowerDesk on my mac (and I run 10.9.4) and it works fine:
Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 6.54.56 AM.png
It's not easy to find on their site but you can download it here: http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/suppo ... ad/?id=355

I also use SwitchResX to gain access to all the resolutions that are not always accessible with the display setting of the mac: http://www.madrau.com/ and you can program custom resolutions as needed. There is a 10-day demo so you can try for your show.

Good luck with your show tonight!

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Thanks for the input.
Do you use the analog tripple head or any other edition?

I had installed the Matrox Powerdesk once. It did nothing, no change at all, as Matrox states no compability with the MacBookPro. (I guess all macs).
Mine works as plug and play, but resolution available is allways 2400x600 (limited as 800x600 each).
I will try SwitchRes.

Tks

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I use the TripleHead2Go DP Edition which is both Analog & Digital. The Matrox TripleHead2Go Analog Edition is no longer offered but on the Matrox website it shows that it is compatible with Macs (http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/produ ... go/analog/) so you shouldn't have any problems.

What type of Mac do you have?

SwitchResX is a great product to have in you VJ toolkit for sure.

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

In phone call to Matrox, they said it is not compatible.
I run a macbookpro 2011, not thunderbolt yet.
My triple head if VGA analog only.

The link on the Mac specs is for a dual head compability. It shouldn´t have any differences, but...

thanks

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

Using switch res X you can force the mac to work with the angalogue triple head. I set it up for a dude just afew weeks ago.

Source: I have like 5 of those old things and force em to work with retina's for janky raves.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Pfelberg, how did your project go yesterday?

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Cool! I will definately try it.
But course you cannot go further than the biggest resolution VGA can support, right?

Unfortunately, yesterday I had more problems and I was left with no time to test it.
I arrived at 5pm to setup for the beginning at 10pm. I had some cabling and projector problems that took me exactly 5 hours to solve. Sweeting cold until 5 minutes before start. Thanks to Arena, mapping is simple as pushing some nodes ; )

I was locked thoug, to 800x600 for each screen.
001.jpg

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

pfelberg wrote:Cool! I will definately try it.
But course you cannot go further than the biggest resolution VGA can support, right?
VGA is an analog interface so you mean XGA (1024x768), right?

You can't go beyond the native resolution of your projector without scaling but that won't change the size of your pixels. So regardless of what you do, your output will be XGA if your projector is XGA.

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

pfelberg wrote:Cool! I will definately try it.

Unfortunately, yesterday I had more problems and I was left with no time to test it.
I arrived at 5pm to setup for the beginning at 10pm. I had some cabling and projector problems that took me exactly 5 hours to solve. Sweeting cold until 5 minutes before start. Thanks to Arena, mapping is simple as pushing some nodes ; )

I was locked thoug, to 800x600 for each screen.
001.jpg
I've pushed 3072x768 through vga to a triplehead without issue. Just make sure the cable has great shielding(the thick matrox vga cable works great) and isn't that long(Safe if under 5ft). You should be able to handle 3 projectors at 1024x768 with the analogue edition and switch resX.