Blackmagic Ultra studio on MBP

Bro, does your rig even lift?
jim
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Blackmagic Ultra studio on MBP

Post by jim »

Hi all just wanting to see if anyone has used Ultrastudio SDI https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/pro ... studiousb3 on mac and if it works fine in resolume? I know being a blackmagic capture card it should be fine but wanted to double check before dumping $500 on it.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Blackmagic Ultra studio on MBP

Post by drazkers »

No experience, but this might be something a tad less costly.

http://www.magewell.com/hardware/dongle ... ml?lang=en

ReggieUnderground

Post by ReggieUnderground »

I bought an UltraStudio SDI when it first came out and ended up returning it. There was an issue with the tolerance of whatever electronic component "latched" onto the HD-SDI signal. After an unpleasant support experience with BM I returned it for a refund.

I imagine by now whatever weird problem I had has been worked out. I currently carry the BM "Mini" devices because they're cheaper and more portable.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

We work on broadcast and livestream projects a lot so I use BMD products (converters, switches, extenders...) regularly and they all works great. I haven't used the BMD Ultra Studio but I have no doubt it's 100% compatible.

The main thing to keep in mind when you use this type of product is that they do NOT discover your format so you need to set it up manually but once you have it setup it's pretty bomb-proof!

deepvisual

Post by deepvisual »

well, I bought the bells and whistles intensity studio and guess what?
it is a nightmare to get it into a mac.
in the end I had to use out of date drivers to get it into VDMX, which is supposed to be 100% "BM bombproof".
it did however work fine in resolume..

the moral of the story is, don't believe the hype
ask someone who has one.

dun_panic
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dun_panic »

if i recall correctly..ultrastudio usb3 is only supported for windows.. thus they have made another device for mac which is called ultra studio express that using thunderbolt . N ive been using that one for years without any problem

jim

Post by jim »

HI all so I brought the ultrastudio pro https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/au/pro ... studiousb3 which has fairly much everything in and everything out (the breakout cable is redick) and it captures sdi fine over USB.

It is only in the last month or so that Blackmagic USB3 capture devices have supported OSX. I dare say the UltraStudio SDI should also work fine too. ( i only got the pro version as someone was selling it cheep on ebay)